7 AM - 3 PM or 3 - 11 PM Weekend Registered Nurse Supervisor (RN - NurseManager - Charge Nurse)
The RN Supervisor is responsible for the day to day coordination and oversight of all aspects of nursing activities of the facility during her/his tour of duty. The RN Supervisor will assure that State and Federal Regulations as well as Facility Policy and Procedures are adhered to and the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times. Additionally, the RN Supervisor is the Administration’s representation in the facility in the absence of the Director of Nursing, the Assistant Director of Nursing and the Administrator. The RN Supervisor is delegated the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary for carrying out his/her assigned duties.
• Director of Nursing Services
• If applicable, supervise administratively in the building assigned, all levels of all staff of his/her respective discipline.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure that reference materials, equipment and supplies are current and available at all work stations for use of staff to provide quality nursing care.
• Ensure that all nursing staff complies with facility policy and procedures relating to Safety, Infection Control, HIPAA, Residents Rights, Abuse and Resident Care and in accordance with State and Federal Regulations.
• Identify and report staff educational needs to the Director of Nursing and Facility Educator.
• Participate as directed and support educational programs as needed on off shifts and weekends.
• Make written and oral reports/recommendations to the Director of Nursing as necessary/required, concerning the operation of the nursing service department.
• Participate in as directed and support the Quality Assurance Program for the Nursing Department.
• Meet with nursing staff as needed/requested by the Director of Nursing to disseminate educational information or important communications and solicit feedback from staff.
• Participate in and/or support the Admission, Transfer and Discharge of residents as required.
• Ensure that accident/incident reports are completed accurately as necessary.
• Perform administrative duties such as completing medical forms, reports, evaluations, studies, charting, etc, as necessary.
• Agree not to disclose resident’s protected health information and promptly report suspected or known violations of such disclosure to the Administrator.
• Attend various committee meetings of the facility (i.e. Infection Control, Pharmaceutical, Quality Assurance, etc.) as assigned and any preparation as requested.
• Provide information to the Quality Assurance Committee as requested and/or assigned.
• Implement recommendations from established committees as instructed by the Director of Nursing.
• Ensure that a sufficient number of both licensed and unlicensed staff are available for your assigned shift and assist in assuring that there is sufficient staffing for the oncoming shift to provide safe quality resident care.
• Ensure work assignments have been made and complied with for all staff to include break and lunch times.
• Make daily rounds of the assigned units to ensure that all nursing staff are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
• Monitor absenteeism to ensure that an adequate number of nursing care 0personnel are on duty at all times.
• Report problem areas to the Director of Nursing.
• Complete and/or review complaints and grievances made or filed on your assigned shift. Forward appropriate reports to the Director of Nursing as required or necessary.
• Be a supportive team member, contribute to and be an example of team work and team concept.
• Must be knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures and make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
• Must deal tactfully and in a professional manner with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, and the general public.
• Must be open to change and promote necessary change to staff in a positive supportive manner.
• Participate in employee performance evaluations and disciplinary actions as required or requested by the Director of Nursing.
• Report occupational exposures to blood, body fluids, infectious materials and hazardous chemicals in accordance with the facility’s policies and procedures.
• Report known or suspected incidents of fraud to the Administrator.
• Ensure that nursing service work areas (i.e. nurses’ stations, medication rooms, etc.) are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner.
• Ensure that all resident care rooms, treatment areas, etc., are maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary manner.
• Ensure that nursing service personnel follow established hand washing and glove usage policies and procedures.
• Ensure that nursing service personnel follow established infection control procedures when isolation precautions become necessary.
• Report missing/illegible labels or MSDS sheets to the safety officer or other designated person.
• Recommend to the Director of Nursing the equipment and supply needs of the department.
• Ensure that an adequate stock level of medications, medical supplies, equipment, etc. is maintained on premises at all times to meet the needs of the resident. Report issues interfering with this need to the Director of Nursing.
• Inform the Director when physician visits are not made in a timely manner.
• Consult with the resident, his/her family, and the resident’s physician in planning the resident’s care, treatment, rehabilitation, etc., and updating the resident’s care plan as necessary.
• Review nurses’ notes to ensure that they are informative and descriptive of the nursing care being provided and the resident’s response to the care being provided.
• Ensure that all RN and LPN employees on your shift comply with written procedures for the administration, storage and control of medication and supplies.
• Monitor medication passes and treatment schedules to ensure that medications are being administered as ordered and that treatments are provided as scheduled.
• Review and monitor medication records for completeness of information, accuracy in the transcription of physician orders, and adherence to stop order policies.
• Meet with residents, and/or family members, as necessary. Report problems to the Director of Nursing.
• Monitor nursing care to ensure that all residents are treated fairly and with kindness, dignity and respect.
• Ensure that all nursing care is provided in privacy and that personnel knock before entering the resident’s room.
• Report and investigate all allegations of resident abuse and/or misappropriation of resident property and report allegations immediately to Administrator or Director of Nursing.
• Participate in Annual and/or Complaint Surveys as requested and required assist with any plan of corrections as requested.
• A Nursing or related Health Care degree from an accredited college or university or and accredited RN program is preferred.
• A minimum of one year experience as a supervisor in a Skilled Nursing/Long Term Care facility is preferred.
• Actively licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V