This is an exciting time to join Safeway As a Fortune 100 Company with 186,000 employees, we are continually expanding the wide range of opportunities we offer to help our teams build and advance their careers. From Marketing to Finance, from IT to Operations, from Real Estate to Construction, in the United States and Canada, Safeway is where your career accelerates.
Safeway provides its employees with the knowledge base and skill set to succeed personally and professionally, encouraging them to maximize their potential through diversity network groups, succession planning and ongoing development opportunities.
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager for the Bethesda, MD area
SAFEWAY, INC. is one of the most successful food and drug retailers in North America and is proud to serve neighborhoods across the country with the freshest groceries at a great value. We offer innovative products and programs that seek to improve consumers’ health and quality of life. The employees that make this possible are the heart of our company, and they are an essential part of our strong heritage and clear vision for the future.
As one of the primary contacts for Safeway customers, the First Assistant Store Manager is actively involved in and provides friendly, courteous, and helpful customer service on a daily basis to provide a positive shopping experience. The First Assistant Store Manager is also responsible for assisting the Store Manager with the total operations of the store and performs various duties personally or through supervision of store employees (100+ bargaining unit and non-contract employees). The First Assistant Store Manager position is a non-union, salaried position and reports directly to the Store Manager.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Overall management responsibility for operation of retail grocery store, including store performance, control of cash, budget, inventory/security, customer services, and management of staff
• Focus on positive customer service/satisfaction experience and ensure that employees provide customers with superior customer service through use of best practices and communication of the importance of superior customer service
• Track, analyze and take action to improve store performance by forecasting of weekly/daily sales goals and meeting or exceeding established goals. Communicate sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities, shrink, out of stock with staff to ensure positive results
• Maintain, encourage and possess an “owner mentality”
• Identify areas for improvement and cost control by implementing action plans and procedures to address issues
• Forecast, create schedule, and monitor labor to be consistent with store sales, productivity guidelines and wage budgets; create action plan to address cost control issues
• Support Store Manager with development and direction in the execution of strategies to improve product placement and appearance
• Monitor product display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions ensuring presentation, pricing and signage are properly displayed and presented according to established practices and plans and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions
• Ensure cashier accountability, scanning accuracy and adherence to company security and cash control procedures
• Monitor all vendors to ensure proper adherence to our standards
• Ensure that compliance with all federal, state, local agency, company policies and procedures are properly followed, including, security, safety, food handling and sanitation, weights and measures, refrigeration, wage and hour, etc.
• Recruit, properly train, coach/develop, encourage and set high standards for job performance of store employees, with assistance of other management personnel. Evaluate employee performance and addresses conduct issues through coaching, counseling and termination process, if needed
• Maintain appropriate professional relationship with union officials and ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreement provisions, if applicable
• Create a rewarding work environment where our employees feel valued and empowered
• Ensure store appearance is maintained to company standards
Travel: Travel for training or participation in corporate programs and focus groups may be required. Additionally, travel to other stores to assist when necessary will be required.
Schedules: With many of our stores operating 24 hours per day, interested applicants must allow for a variety of shifts and long hours including nights, holidays, and weekends. Days off during the work week are seldom taken consecutively.
Working Conditions: This position requires repeated use of hands, arms, legs, and feet for sustained action (e.g. long periods of time walking around the store and standing, stocking, rotating product). Frequent bending, squatting and kneeling and capable of lift 25 to 55 pounds and ability to work in a fast-paced environment and occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be required to complete an assessment to measure key retail management and organizational knowledge.
• Minimum of one year of assistant manager experience responsible for managing a department/team within a multi-department operation within the retail or service industry - OR -
• Two years’ experience as a department manager with responsibility for managing a department/team within a multi-department operation within the retail or service industry
• Overall management responsibility for a minimum of 10 personnel or greater.
• High school diploma or equivalent required; college degree is preferred
• Excellent customer service and proven ability to demonstrate leadership skills
• Strong operations experience in receiving, stock and inventory as well as front-end/office management
• Must have direct experience managing a P&L budget
• Experience selecting, assessing, developing and coaching employees
• Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a very fast-paced environment
• Excellent communication skills with an upbeat demeanor and sales-oriented personality
• Ability to work flexible schedules
This job description is intended to provide a high-level of general requirements for this position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure proper operations.
Safeway is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (MFDV) and welcomes diverse talent and backgrounds.