Job Title: Automation Engineer
Reports To: Engineering Manager
Candidate needs to have a proven track record in engineering leadership as well as the ability to develop and implement standard engineering practices, and provide detailed documentation upon project completion. This person will be the project technical lead and may be responsible for some project management activities. This position will be responsible for automation and control systems design, specification, programming, simulation and testing, and start-up assistance. Must have proven experience in PLC logic and programming and HMI or SCADA programming. Experience in Sherlock Vision Software preferred. BS in Electrical, Mechanical or Computer Engineering is desired. A minimum of 5 years experience in a similar position is required.
Primary Job Duties:
- Develop test plans for vision machinery and other equipment, applying knowledge of engineering technology.
- Design, build and implement vision inspection machines.
- Program and troubleshoot new and existing products on existing vision systems.
- Design quality, engineered solutions that meet customer’s needs, meet or beat budget constraints, and allow for efficient manufacture.
- Hands-on building of machinery and components utilizing equipment such as lathe, mill, etc.
- Utilize project management skills and CAD to minimize overall engineering cost and maximize ability to simultaneously execute multiple projects.
- Maintain awareness and control of project cost, quality, scope, and schedule to ensure on time delivery of the project within budget.
- Support Management. Make Department Manager aware of all current or potential problems. Report to management all findings on jobs that would affect costs, schedules, employees or customers.
- Support QSR QMS by reviewing project scope, budget, design schedule and design plan on a regular basis.
- Participate in design reviews as required and requested by Project Manager.
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside suppliers
- Assist in assuring that customer commitments are met.
- Where required, conduct research and development activities concerned with integration and testing of electronic and mechanical components, products and systems and in development of applications.
- Apply mechanical theory, mechanical testing procedures and related knowledge to layout, build, test, troubleshoot, repair and modify developmental and production equipment.
- Supervise installation crews and assist in the installation of jobs for field installations.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance.