Purpose of Position:
This position requires demonstrated work experience in construction inspection. Incumbents are capable to assume responsibilities associated with more complex construction activity.
The Construction Manager is responsible for duties that may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inspects and observes that a construction project, or an aspect of a construction project, is constructed in accordance with the plans and specifications of the project
- Identifies unforeseen conditions or errors in the plans or specifications and communicates such to the attention of their supervisor or the client
- Maintains an accurate set of field notes and daily diary
- Demonstrates sufficient skills and judgment to successfully complete larger or more complex construction projects
- Becomes knowledgeable with the pertinent information of a construction project, or aspect of a construction project, including but not limited to the plans and specifications, restrictions and right of ways, permits, test procedures, schedules, shop drawings, utility locations and information
- Develops and maintains a professional working relationship with construction contractors or subcontractors, and engineering/architectural design team.
- Supervises less experienced staff
- Prepares daily reports, takes progress photos, maintains record document information
- Monitors and records contractor’s work performance with the contract requirements and conducts final inspections, prepares punch lists, and collects documentation for closing out of contracts
- Coordinates materials testing, surveying services and other sub professional services that may be required
- Reviews and recommends progress payments to the contractor
- Certifications may be required at time of employment on one or more of the following: ICBO certification for Special Inspector (Reinforced Concrete, Masonry, Structural Steel & Welding), OSHPD, DSA, AWS, CALTRANS QA/QC Filed Welding or other certifications which may be required by the client.
Relationship to Others:
- Reports to the Regional Construction Manager or Director of Construction
- May report directly to client
Knowledge and Experience Desired:
- High School Diploma and 6 or more years of relevant experience; or
Associates Degree or Bachelors Degree and 4 or more years experience