Get new similar jobs by email for
Cost Accounting Manager
Manages cost accounting activities and directs junior/senior level professionals and clerical personnel in assigned areas of responsibility. Implements, maintains and controls cost accounting systems, policies and procedures. Directs activities related to product costing, cost analysis, standard rate calculations, overhead allocations, and inventory levels. Provides cost accounting support to other departments and maintains appropriate interfaces. Serves on task forces requiring cost accounting expertise.
This position is required to interface with Sales, Operations, Product and Process Engineering, Production Control and Corporate Management at all locations in order to coordinate their efforts in evaluating product cost, sales, and cost reduction programs.
1. Evaluates the adequacy of cost accounting systems, policies and procedures, and evaluates other accounting and production systems, policies and procedures in reference to cost accounting.
2. Monitors compliance of policies and procedures with outside agencies.
3. Directs and coordinates standard rate collection.
4 .Reviews results of all studies, reports, etc., and makes presentations to management.
5. Directs the allocation of overhead costs.
6. Coordinates the forecasting of inventory levels.
7. Directs quarterly physical inventories.
8. Initiates and/or analyzes cost accounting system requests, identifies alternatives, makes recommendations and implements approved requests.
9. Explains cost accounting systems, policies and procedures and assists in the development and implementation of training programs.
10. Interprets and reports rate change impact on inventories.
11. Evaluates the need for special cost studies and analysis; directs the preparation of the study; and interprets, evaluates and presents the results.
12. Selects, develops and directs junior/senior level professional and clerical personnel in assigned areas of responsibilities. Establishes performance objectives and monitors and evaluates performance.
1. Bachelor's degree with concentration in accounting, preferably an MBA degree or equivalent experience. Formal training in cost accounting. Five or more years' experience with specialized accounting and management information systems in a medium-large manufacturing company. Management training and experience directing the work of others.
2. Thorough understanding of cost accounting concepts and ability to relate them to operations and to the Income Statement and Balance Sheet. Good understanding of other accounting systems and computer systems. Demonstrated ability to plan and schedule, and apply systematic solutions to complex and diverse problems. Effective written and verbal communication skills.
A four year degree in Accounting and 5 to 10 years experience in a manufacturing environment CPA or CMA is desirable.
Compensation package includes Health Insurance, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Quarterly Bonus Program, Vacation, Holidays and more.
At Special Metals, we believe that diversity drives success. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.