Get new similar jobs by email for
Incumbents in this classification are responsible for driving, operating, and maintaining fire apparatus and assigned apparatus equipment, providing medical assistance on EMS calls, and performing fire suppression and various other duties at emergency scenes. Duties include: completing extrication and scene stabilization, stabilizing and removing basic hazmat threats, and maintaining basic cleanliness of the fire hall. Work performed with moderate supervision.
(The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.)
• Responds to all types of fires and other emergencies; performs searches, suppresses and extinguishes fires, and performs related life and property protection; provides emergency and medical care at a basic and advanced life support level; and, performs vehicle extrications.
• Identifies, isolates, and contains hazardous materials in a safe and effective manner.
• Drives emergency vehicles and operates related apparatus in order to respond to emergency calls and scenes; may drive and operate a boat in emergency situations.
• Participates in on-going training and education sessions.
• Ensures the proper condition, maintenance, and appearance of apparatus and equipment; prepares and ensures vehicles and apparatus are ready for immediate response.
• Participates in the daily functions of the fire station, which may include: housekeeping, cooking, maintenance activities, and/or performing other related duties.
• Assists in completing and maintaining records related to personnel, incidents, and/or other related items.
• Participates in fire department programs, such as pre-fire planning, fire prevention programs, and/or fire hydrant checks.
• Participates in and/or facilitates training sessions and station tours to the public on fire related topics.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Mitigating hazardous materials scenarios;
• Implementing site safety and control plans;
• Controlling, containing, and/or confining hazardous substances.
Urban Search & Rescue
• Executing specialized rescue scenarios and stabilizing scenes, such as vehicle extrications, high and low angle rope/trench rescues, confined space/building collapse rescues, airplane entrapment rescues, and other related activities.
High School Diploma, or G.E.D. and two years of Firefighter experience.
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid Tennessee Driver’s License with F endorsement
Firefighter I Certification
Hazardous Materials Technician Certification
High Angle Rope/ Confined Space Rescue Certification
Trench Rescue Certification