Get new similar jobs by email for
Mechanical Engineering Technic...
Mechanical Engineering Technical Leader
Shell TechWorks Boston (STW) - Greater Boston Area
The purpose of STW is to accelerate development and deployment of technology for Shell by leveraging the Boston-area tech ecosystem of academics, research, incubators, and entrepreneurs. The candidate will work with and lead a growing team of engineers solving diverse problems in the oil and gas industry. STW is set-up in such a way that it creates the feeling of a start-up company. Project teams will be responsible for the development of innovative technical solutions through the full product lifecycle: from first-of-a-kind prototyping to product deployment.
As a technical leader, the candidate will have a number of critical responsibilities including management, technical leadership, business development, and hands on mechanical engineering.As functional manager for mechanical engineering, the candidate will manage a team of 5-10engineers supporting a range of programs and projects. Management responsibilities will include performance reviews, recruiting, staff development, and infrastructure development (lab space, software tools, etc).
The candidate will also be required to contribute toand lead engineering tasks on one or multiple projects. They should have a firm grasp of every element in mechanical product development, including concept ideation, design (CAD), analysis (analytical and FEA), prototyping, test/verification, and design transition to manufacturing partners. Strong technical leadership skills will be critical. The candidate must be capable of working well in multi-disciplinary teams consisting of electrical, software, and systems engineers. Familiarity with electrical engineering and software development principles will be beneficial.
In addition, the candidate will be expected to work with customers (internal and external to Shell), vendors in the supply chain, subcontractors, STW engineering teams, and end users to identify problems and propose valid technical solutions. This will include working closely with the programs office to produce technical proposals with associated cost and schedule projections. The candidate will also be responsible for ensuring a healthy, safe, secure and environmentally conscious work environment is maintained at all times and by all staff, in compliance with corporate policies and federal and state regulations.
Desired Skills and Experience:
· B.Sc in mechanical engineering, M.Sc in mechanical engineering is preferred
· Technical leadership and management:
o Ability to lead technical teams with varying backgrounds and skill sets
o Experience managing multiple direct reports
o Experience setting up process workflows and best practices
· At least 10 years experience developing complex mechanical and electromechanical systems, with a minimum of 5 years in a start-up environment:
o Demonstrated ability to produce innovative solutions to changing problems
o Ability to quickly identify problems and implement solutions
o Ability to balance technical execution with schedule and budgetary constraints
o Ability to drive projects to completion despite technical and programmatic adversity
o Application of analytical tools to enhance and optimize designs
· Experience fulfilling a key technical leadership role on large scale mechanical projects, being directly responsible for managing projects larger than $10 million dollars. Candidate should have a proven record in bringing those projects to full completion as a deployed technology solution/product
· Experience working within 2 distinct industries, with a demonstrated ability to rapidly and effectively transition to working with new technologies and in different working environments
· Technical background in several of the following areas:
o Structural mechanics
o Thermodynamics & fluid dynamics
o Machine design and kinematic analysis
o System modeling, control, and optimization
o Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
- Structural, thermal, CFD, dynamic, multi-physics
- Linear and non-linear
o Electronics packaging
o Ruggedized product design
o Actuators (hydraulic, electromechanical, pneumatic, etc)
o Electromechanical sensors (accelerometers, gyros, etc)
o Industrial control systems
· Test Engineering
o Demonstrated ability to design and execute tests to verify design functionality
o Knowledge of data acquisition hardware/software
o Ability to process and analyze data
o Critical thinker, can “red flag” test results that are abnormal and troubleshoot in real time
· Experience with the following software packages & languages is a significant asset
o CAD (SolidWorks, Inventor, etc…)
o FEA (Ansys, Nastran, etc…)
o PLM (Omnify, Windchill, etc…)
o Microsoft Project
The following personal traits or abilities are critical for success:
- Willingness to travel up to 40% domestically and internationally
- Willingness to deploy to the field for up to two weeks at a time on rare occasions
- Ability and drive to deliver on time, while working in a semi-autonomous environment
- Ability to create and communicate an accurate schedule
- Willingness to learn to work with the tools and solutions selected by the team
- Insatiable curiosity to understand and improve the state of art
- Ability to work effectively and build relationships with all levels of personnel, customers, suppliers, consultants - both internally and externally
- Exceptional communication skills
About this company
Shell TechWorks (STW) is a new innovation and rapid-prototyping center that leverages the Boston-area technology ecosystem to accelerate the development of technology solutions for Shell. Shell TechWorks offers a generous benefits and vacation package and vibrant office environment housed in the heart of Kendall Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Compensation will vary based on experience. Please submit a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies. It consists of the businesses of Upstream Americas, Upstream International, Downstream, and Projects & Technology. With around 101,000 employees in more than 90 countries and territories, Shell is helping to meet the world's growing demand for energy in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways.