Membership and Volunteer Relations Coordinator, Boston, MA
The Membership and Volunteer Relations Coordinator will work with Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) staff at all levels, chapter representatives, and AMC members. Key responsibilities include coordination of AMC's Annual Summit, coordination of AMC's presence at outdoor events throughout the region, membership communications, assisting with our front office presence, and event-based fundraising.
The Membership and Volunteer Relations Coordinator will support AMC's volunteer and membership initiatives, and maintain AMC's high standards in servicing AMC members and the general public who are in contact with AMC's Joy Street office. Responsibilities include:
Event Planning, Production, and Administration
- Work with Director of Volunteer Relations to coordinate all aspects (Friday – Sunday) of AMC's Annual Summit and Business Meeting. Secure location, automate registration, arrange for meals, define workshops, support search for qualified speaker (if applicable), arrange meeting rooms, and manage on-site registration. Coordinate schedules with Executive Office and Board of Directors meeting.
- Build a program that promotes AMC by securing booth space, coordinating volunteers, and by attending at minimum 6 Expo events that bring at least 15,000 participants each throughout AMC's region. Create an inspiring table display including interactive/experiential programming, attractive visuals, and demo area that that will attract visitors and encourage membership sign-ups.
- Coordinate with the VP of Development, VP of Communications, and Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations to work more closely with existing retail partners to donate raffle items and/or get out the word on these events.
- Work with key staff to develop materials consistent AMC's updated brand identity that can be leveraged across AMC events.
- Engage volunteers from across AMC to actively participate in each Expo and attend AMC's Annual Summit.
- Work with marketing and PR colleagues to promote Summit and Expo events across AMC to staff, volunteers, and members.
- Prepare budgets, track event costs, and provide progress reports and final event report for each Expo.
- Participate in management of AMC's Event Volunteer Program, a volunteer cadre. Organize volunteer training programs.
- Manage informational resources through in-person and online training.
- Enhance navigability of volunteer resource library on Summit.
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers for various projects that address specific program and community needs.
- Work closely with the Director of Volunteer Relations and the Volunteer Programs Taskforce to implement efficient and effective use of the incoming volunteer database.
- Join Volunteer Relations for planning, prioritization, and problem solving as appropriate.
- Coordinate AMC's Membership and Development communications:
- Implement e-communication efforts including Annual Fund appeals, renewal reminder, Member Center emails, and e-fundraising appeals; set up, test, and execute email messages.
- Create and send monthly list fulfillment files of active and lapsed members;
- Update and maintain online member forms; quality assurance of forms.
- Assist with proofreading.
- Develop and maintain relationships with chapters, in particular Membership Chairs, to encourage new membership sales and retention initiatives. Coordinate Expo events with Chapters.
- Represent Membership Department at Annual Meeting and Fall Gathering.
- Back up Membership Assistant with de-dupe, firstname.lastname@example.org , and reporting in his/her absence.
Member Engagement in Fundraising
- Create one to two peer-to-peer fundraising programs that engage Millennials and foster philanthropic spirit among young members. Provide support and supporting materials including rules of engagement, approved logos, digital download, printed materials and organizational fact sheet. Create guidelines and best practices and identify and address risks.
- Insure all materials are consistent with brand identity.
- Participate in first floor/front desk/phone coverage as needed with Volunteer Relations and Membership Assistant and Member Services Rep. Two staff members are required on the first floor during business hours to handle phone/visitors effectively and maintain building security.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Membership.
- Bachelor's degree with experience in, membership, communications, event management, or marketing.
- Three to five years of experience with customer and/or client relations;
- Two to three years of experience event and volunteer management;
- Experience with Word, Excel, Publisher and Photoshop; Raiser's Edge, and Convio or Sphere experience preferred;
- Membership/fundraising experience preferred;
- Successful experience building and using Excel spreadsheets.
- Excellent inter-personal, project management, writing, and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to learn and use the membership and event databases/systems rapidly and effectively;
- Interpret and apply knowledge to varying situations;
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team;
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
- Strong resource organization skills;
- Ability to initiate, prioritize and multi-task with various responsibilities;
- Strong analytic skills with the ability to identify sales and marketing opportunities and recommend and execute appropriate course of action.
- Knowledge of AMC member services, facilities and programs strongly recommended;
- Strong knowledge of outdoor recreation and safety issues;
- Strong recreational knowledge of the White Mountain National Forest and New England or Mid-Atlantic region preferable.
- Some travel required;
- Physical ability to work primarily in a standard office setting, lifting up to 20 pounds;
- Comfortable occasionally traveling in the backcountry in all weather conditions.
The job specifications should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
Please email resume, cover letter and attached EEO form (PDF, 13 KB) to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Benefits of Working with the AMC
The AMC offers a great benefits package! Here is a partial list that highlights some benefits offered for our regular full-time employees. Benefits may vary based on position.
- Group Health Plan, 75 percent employer paid.
- Group Life Insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Long-Term Disability Insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Retirement plan.
- Vacation: four weeks accrued each year.
- Holidays: 13 paid holidays/year.
- Use of AMC lodging destinations at free and discounted rates.
- Free AMC membership.
The AMC is Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in our mission and activities, through our membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status.
AMC has zero tolerance for the abuse of children. Any employee or intern with access to children will have a criminal record check performed and have references checked regarding their past work with children.