Position Summary: Responsible for the business management of a category/categories within a Brand including ownership of gross margin, sales, profitability, vendor management, and sourcing. Maximize the development of the brand, sales, and profits or concepts for the department. Manage information across functions working closely with Creative, PSQC, Inventory Control, and Sourcing.
· Source and select products within designated categories that fit Brand merchandising strategy.
· Apply professional knowledge of merchandising principles in order to meet sales, gross margin, and contribution objectives.
· Develop new and exclusive products, some of which may be privately labeled.
· Communicate and develop partnerships with all vendors.
· Keep abreast of current industry and design trends.
· Sample, test and evaluate prospective new products to ensure compliance with all applicable
· Negotiate and confirm pricing, packaging, delivery, terms and advertising with catalog vendors.
· Monitor and evaluate vendor performance and determine key strategic partnerships.
· Prepare data and material for product presentation to function Vice President and Children’s Group Merchandising Team.
· Analyze product performance.
· Assist with catalog design, layout, photography, and copywriting.
· Participate in weekly merchandise meetings with all departments.
· Interface with PSQC on routine basis to improve quality and testing conformity. Check all initial shipments of new products with QA to established baseline of acceptance.
· Project sales by item. Assist Inventory Control with recommendations for initial buys and reorder quantities and reducing overstocks.
The requirements listed below represent the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required, to perform job function:
· Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
· Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
· Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
· Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
· Negotiating - Proven record of win-win negotiations.
· Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
· Team Player - Ability to work within a team of performers each skilled in her/her own specialty.
· Bachelor's Degree (four year college or university)
· Three to seven years related experience in merchandising/purchasing.
· Computer Skills - Required: Excel, Word, Publisher, Outlook; Preferred: Access; Understanding of POS systems (i.e. MOSIS)
· Valid/current U.S. Passport.
· Understanding of market conditions as it relates to merchandising.
· Previous experience in new product design and development preferred.