Get new similar jobs by email for
PARENT EDUCATOR / COUNSELOR
PARENT EDUCATOR /COUNSELOR
This position is ideal for those individuals who are retired educators or parents with school-age children.
· These positions are part-time,typically 25-30 hours.
· Actual hours worked may be impacted by family need, availability, and program requirements.
Family Support Responsibilities:
· Provide functional and concrete parenting education and life skills training to parents with developmental disabilities in the following areas:
Ø Developmental milestones & appropriate expectations for children.
Ø Medical & Nutritional needs of children.
Ø Appropriate discipline techniques.
Ø Home safety screening, particularly for infants and toddlers.
Ø Appropriate supervision of child in home and community.
Ø Budgeting and income maintenance.
Ø Securing and maintaining stable and appropriate housing.
Ø Accessing community resources.
Ø Family recreation and social activities.
Ø Parent’s health and family planning.
· Assist families in formulating and reviewing their goals and objectives.
· Make weekly home visits to provide training and support based on the families individualized goals and utilizing the parenting curriculum.
· Provide crisis intervention services to assigned families. Teach methods of problem solving to parents, including how to prevent or cope with crises.
· Provide coordination and collaboration with support service agencies to enhance the stability of the family environment.
· Provide occasional transportation of families, when determined "necessary".
· Be available by phone for consultation and with other staff and families as needed.
· Attend and participate in regular staff meetings and supervision.
· Maintain accurate documentation and provide monthly written reports.
Mature individual with personal parenting experience. Background with persons with developmental disabilities or Spanish Speaking a plus. Must possess ability to work independently, be capable of taking initiative, and possess good written and verbal communication skills. Reliable transportation and a valid Colorado driver’s license are required.