Job Title: Rail Switching Supervisor
Business Unit: SGS Petroleum Service Corporation
Type of Position: Non-exempt
Primary Responsibilities: Oversees and directs the daily activities of switching crews.
Reporting to: SGS Operations Manager
Pay rate: $30 - $34/hr. commensurate with experience, plus overtime; company truck provided
- Operations Management
- Oversees and directs the daily activities of switching crews.
- Resolves any daily operations issues that may arise.
- Communicates daily with site management and participates in shipping meetings.
- Coordinates with Shift Supervisors daily to ensure compliance with daily switching needs.
- Manages daily staffing and overtime needs to ensure proper coverage for vacations or open positions.
- Helps develop more efficient ways of performing job which results in less down time for customers while still working safely.
- Follows up on maintenance requests generated from field employees to ensure adequate response.
- Monitors and manages key performance indicators (KPI’s) for switching operation.
- Safety Management
- Leads and administers PSC’s safety programs on-site:
- Safety recognition program
- Behavior Based Safety Observations
- Tailgate Safety Program
- Monthly Safety Meeting Process
- Lessons Learned Program
- Near miss observation Program
- Performs daily observations on employees to ensure they are working safely.
- Manages safety supplies and equipment on hand so that crews always have proper PPE and re-order when necessary.
- People Management
- Participates with HR and Operations Manager during interviews to fill open positions.
- Sets performance expectations for each employee.
- Performs yearly performance evaluations on all employees to discuss opportunities and weaknesses they may have.
- Administers disciplinary actions on employees when needed and keep accurate records.
- Manages payroll and billing process.
- Provides leadership for leadman individual development process.
- Administers drug testing to employees for random testing, post accident or whenever else necessary.
- Training Management
- Provides leadership for new hire training program as well as cross-training programs.
- Certifies switchmen, engineers and leadmen and complete qualification documentation as required.
- Updates and develops procedures when necessary to identify most effective and safe way to perform job duties.
- Administers refresher training and re-certification to existing employees when necessary.
- Administers regulatory training to all employees in order to stay in compliance with customer and PSC standards.
- Equipment Management
- Schedules servicing for locomotives and trucks when break downs occur or for routine maintenance.
- Troubleshoots minor equipment problems as they arise.
- Incident Response Management
- Responds to incidents and conduct initial investigations.
- Schedules and facilitates Root Cause Investigations when incidents occur to help determine root cause and corrective actions.
SGS Petroleum Service Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer