Get new similar jobs by email for
Job Title: Tankerman
Business Unit: SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC)
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt
Hourly or Salary: Hourly
Primary Responsibilities: Serves as the Person-In-Charge of the barge, ensuring the safe transfer of products to and from vessels.
Reporting to: If On-Call Tankerman – SGS Supervisor – Tankerman Operations; if Plant Tankerman – SGS Site Supervisor
· Travels to jobsite as instructed by dispatcher within the allowable time frame.
· Carries all equipment from vehicle to facility assuring that all equipment necessary to complete the transfer will be close at hand.
· Meets with the facility Person-In-Charge (Dockman) in order to discuss and coordinate chemical transfer expectations.
· Wears all protective clothing and equipment, including respirator and fresh air equipment that may be required to transfer the product in a manner that insures maximum personal safety.
· Inspects the barge prior to transfer in order to ensure that the vessel is mechanically sound, seaworthy and the transfer can be accomplished in a safe and uninterrupted manner.
· Checks the Piping Diagram and inspects the Certificate of Inspection (COI) and Certificate of Financial Responsibility (COFR) in order to ensure that both are current.
· Completes and signs the Declaration of Inspection (DOI).
· Connects cargo arm or hose and aligns the barge’s valves to send and receive cargo.
· Calls the dispatcher in order to inform him/her of any irregularities of the vessel, and/or facility prior to beginning the transfer. Should any irregularities occur during transfer the transfer must be stopped and the dispatcher called immediately.
· For discharge operations, check the engine and pump to ensure they are mechanically sound prior to beginning the transfer.
· Continually monitors and adjusts cargo flow throughout the transfer operation.
· Continually monitors and adjusts barge’s mooring lines throughout the transfer operation.
· Fills or empties the barge with product, as requested by customer or dispatcher.
· Disconnects the cargo arm or hose and completes required paperwork once the transfer is complete.
· Secures the barge’s valves and openings and prepares the barge for sail.
· Calls dispatch with job information prior to departing to job site.
Tank-PIC (barge DL) endorsement. Ability to lift up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects. Ability to climb ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like. Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift grasp, talk, hear and have good vision. Ability to work outside in environmental conditions which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold. High school diploma or equivalency.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability
SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) is an EOE/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer and committed to a drug-free and harassment-free work environment.