Get new similar jobs by email for
Strouse, a leading and established manufacturing company in Westminster, MD is currently recruiting for a Purchasing Agent.A Purchasing Agent is a key position in this company due to the complexity of custom products and the skill to acquire and maintain sources of supply for them. The Purchasing Agent reports to the Director of Operations.The Purchasing Agent will generate purchase orders for materials and follow up on deliveries, solicit and negotiate price and lead time information from suppliers, evaluate vendor quotes and services to determine if they are compatible with company objectives. Confer with suppliers and analyze suppliers operations to determine factors that affect prices and determine lowest cost consistent with quality, reliability, and ability to meet required schedules Must be organized, detail-oriented, able to follow multi-step processes, easily take direction, able to proof and check own work for accuracy.
- Generate purchase orders for supplies, materials, equipment and services within the inventory control system based on need or submitted purchase requisitions
- Submit approved purchase orders to suppliers and follow up on deliveries
- Update inventory management system with vendor contact information, minimum order quantities, price breaks, lead times, and terms
- Provide feedback to suppliers regarding damages, shortages, late deliveries and other exceptions to secure resolution
- Generate requests for proposals and negotiate pricing, payment terms with suppliers
- Communicate and verify technical specifications to suppliers
- Work with Finance Department to coordinate timely resolution of pricing issues and approve invoices for payment
- Prepare and manage vendor audits, evaluate vendors on performance, service and price
- Update minimum stock requirements based on production runs and forecasting
- Generate forecasts for suppliers
- Develop and maintain SOPs for specific duties within immediate area of responsibility
- Manage, develop and implement programs for the training for back-up if out of plant (Business or Vacation).
- Ability to recognize and recommend development of new solutions within immediate area of responsibility
- Drive continuous improvement
- Perform other essential and non-essential functions as assigned.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 1-2 years of experience required, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Willingness and ability to learn quickly
- Must have strong computer skills and be proficient in MS Office
- Previous experience in ERP/MRP software preferred
- Experience with domestic as well as international supply base
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Proficiency in mathematical calculations, including calculating ratios, percentages, and computing averages.
- Ability to read/understand manufacturing drawings
- Ability to shift priorities as needed and work in a fast paced environment
- Knowledge of ISO Quality Standard