Get new similar jobs by email for
Douglas Machine Inc. is a 100% Employee-Owned Company
Douglas Machine Inc. is a recognized world-wide leader in paperboard, corrugated and shrink-film packaging solutions.
Core competencies are cartoners, case packers, tray packers, and shrink-wrappers. Many patented and patent-pending technologies are used in the manufacture of your equipment with many patents in various stages of the patent application process.
Douglas Machine is a market-focused company supported by a continuing cross-functional customer visit program and a significant commitment to research and development. These innovative business tactics enable us to understand and meet your ever-increasing business needs. Today Douglas Machine has over 7,000 machines installed in 30 countries.
Douglas is located in the beautiful Alexandria, MN lakes area in West Central MN, just off interstate highway 94. Alexandria has a population of 12,000 and is located between Fargo, ND and Minneapolis, MN. Alexandria is a great place to work, live and raise a family.
401(k) match, ESOP stock allocation, health, dental and life insurance benefits, paid time off, etc. For more information on Douglas and other great career opportunities, go to www.douglas-machine.com
About the Job
The Research and Development Robotics Engineer is an experienced engineer who is recognized as a leader within the company in his/her area of expertise. This individual plays a critical role in the designing, building, installing, and troubleshooting of high-tech, high-speed automated robotic electro-mechanical machinery systems. This position also provides direction and guidance to other engineering colleagues and frequently interacts with other industry professionals. In addition, the Robotics Engineer requires frequent interactions with internal and external customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
1. Research and summarize a broad review of current packaging industry robotic applications for the following types of equipment – case packers, shrink wrappers, cartoners, palletizers. This includes current and potential Douglas market segments.
2. Works with key internal customers to identify a prioritized list of robotics applications.
3. Develop relationships, in conjunction with purchasing, with suppliers and identify manufacturers and technology of interest. Coordinate and begin qualification activity to understand capabilities of multiple manufacturers’ systems, with a focus on most interesting applications for Douglas.
4. Through collaboration with subject matter experts, define potential projects that incorporate significant robotic elements for proposal during the fall planning process.
5. Monitor limited qualification budget for materials and system testing.
6. Work with internal and external partners (universities, vendors) to demonstrate new concepts in lab and field trials, then transition successful projects to product team for commercialization.
7. Coordinate with potential vendors who are willing to provide a system for testing or are receptive to visits and testing at their facilities.
8. Perform technology qualification activities to understand system capabilities.
9. Identify sourcing / manufacturing plan for end effector technologies.
10.Be the subject matter expert for robotic design activities and qualification of the robotic portion of the application.
11.Qualify final designs, complete design work, and participate in install / post-install activities.
12.Provide mentorship / training for business unit, assembly, and technical services resident “experts”.
13.Maintains an engineering note book to record ideas, test results and recommendations on development projects.
14.Possesses the ability to manage difficult projects (go-to person).
15.Maintains project schedules and completes assigned projects within allocated hours.
16.Required to travel to customer sites to resolve machine/commissioning problems when necessary.
17.Responsible for complying with all safety policies and procedures.
OUR COMPANY VALUES:
This individual recognizes and understands that Values are evaluated as a part of every employee’s performance evaluation. The core of our values is an abiding respect for Biblically-based business principles. To us this means conducting business in a manner that is legal, ethical, moral and healthy to the faith-based spiritual life of every employee owner, customer, supplier and competitor.
We refuse to compromise our ethics and high professional standards in order to achieve desired outcomes.
We possess a never-ending desire to serve and support others.
Our passion for employee ownership is demonstrated in everything we do.
Continuous Innovation & Improvement:
We challenge the status quo and strive for excellence in all our work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SAFETY/PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE):
Each employee should be made aware that changes in this job description could occur at any time. Also this job description is not to be considered or construed to be a contract of employment.