The Service Writer is responsible for assisting the Service Manager in the effective operation of the service center to include; sales, productivity and profitability, and is responsible for ensuring that the service center operates under safe conditions according to established policies and procedures and in compliance with federal and state regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Sales, Profit, and Productivity
- Assists the Service Manager in the effective daily operation of the service center.
- Ensures service center has proper mix of trained personnel (i.e. Apprentices, Technicians, and ASE Technicians) to optimize salesgrowth
- Makes certain service desk is properly staffed, per company guidelines, and that all sales associates covering the service desk are trained in the areas of customer service to include complaint resolution, sales, safety, environmental compliance, and employee relations
- Makes certain proper application of pricing and labor costs within established guidelines
- Analyzes payroll expenses to maximize productivity
- Works in concert with the service desk team to ensure all sales opportunities are properly communicated to the customer prior to starting work on the vehicle. All appropriate documentation must be noted on the work-order and invoice
- Plans and implements promotional activities, communicates changes in pricing and services offerings to the team, and provides necessary training to ensure a successful launch
- Records and reviews daily, weekly and monthly sales, SKU movement, productivity measures, and profit reports
- Communicates successes and opportunities to the Store and Service Manager, District Manager and Regional Service Manager
- Conducts operational self audits on a weekly basis
- Recaps and reviews loss prevention audits and provides the Store Manager and Service Manager with action plan for resolving operational deficiencies
- Makes certain that service center is open for business in accordance with established operating hours and is adequately staffed
- Ensures that the team follows the VIP strategy to include the Inspect, Inform and Educate Program along with all current initiatives
- Assists the Service Manager in ensuring the satisfactory application of customer service standards and customer satisfaction programs.
- Plans and implements programs necessary to accomplish improvement in customer service
- Monitors and resolves customer complaints and provides appropriate feedback to the Store Manager
- Ensures compliance with VIP’s code of ethics, quality assurance, and other company customer satisfaction programs to ensure the equitable resolution of customer complaints
- Makes certain that all service related recommendations are clearly explained based on system failure, improved performance, or preventative maintenance according to industry standards
- Maintains up to date catalogs and reference manuals
- Ensures adequate level of operating supplies to support the uninterrupted operation of the business
- Reviews service department opening / closing checklist daily
- Monitors competitive pricing of auto services in trade area on a monthly basis
·Learns the features and benefits of all products sold and serviced by VIP and perfects the selling process.Mentors and trains the selling process and strategy by category to other VIP associates.Leverages VIP’s competitive advantages by product category and sells effectively against our competition.Fully understands all VIP warrantees and sells the lifetime benefits to our customers.Masters the art of professional selling and delivers an enriched customer experience.
3. Training and Human Resources
- Assists the Service Manager to ensure availability of qualified and motivated service employees to achieve service sales, customer service and profit objectives.
- Initiates and maintains recruiting program to ensure the continuity and availability of qualified service personnel to support VIP’s customer service standards
- Ensures that service employees are properly trained and qualified to identify and perform an accurate and complete inspection and service of vehicle systems
- Conducts periodic employee meetings to implement new and continuing training programs, train service employees on OSHA and company safety standards, and inform employees of other program, policy, procedural, and/or product changes
- Ensures that all service employees are refrigerant certified and trained in EPA regulated procedures
- Follows up to make sure all service center equipment is in safe operational condition and that service employees are trained to use available equipment
- Monitors employee time and attendance activities and ensures the equitable distribution of service work
- Follows up on employee compliance with company time and attendance policies and adherence to productivity and service standards
- Ensures that each service employee is provided a copy of his weekly labor report on Monday prior to the close of business
- Reviews service employee productivity and performance levels with individual employees on a weekly basis
- Assists in technical training of service personnel
- Monitors uniform pickup and delivery
4. Facility and Equipment Maintenance
- Assists the Service Manager in ensuring satisfactory maintenance, appearance and condition of assigned facilities to comply with security, safety, and environmental codes and ordinances.
- Assists in the daily preparation of service center, service desk, and equipment prior to start of business each day and the recovery and securing of service center and unclaimed customer vehicles at close of each business day
- Ensures appropriate steps are taken to maintain a clean service department throughout the business day
- Inspects customer waiting area and parking lot for cleanliness each day prior to opening for business
- Schedules needed equipment or facilities repairs through approved channels and/or communicates needs to Service Manager
- Assists the Service Manager in ensuring strict compliance with the service Code of Ethics and all municipal, state, and federal regulations and procedures pertaining to the operation of the service center.
- Conducts periodic self audit of service orders to ensure compliance with company and regulatory agency procedures which require specific vehicle and disclosure information
- Implements company safety and loss prevention programs, monitors employee compliance, and takes appropriate disciplinary action as needed to ensure compliance
- Communicates with Store and Service Manager, District Manager and Regional Service Manager, and other business partners as needed to ensure compliance with operational standards and company policies
- Coordinates and communicates with Service Manager as needed to ensure productive operational teamwork between sales and service departments
- Performs any other functions as required by the Service Manager.
- Communicates with other levels of management as needed to ensure compliance with operational standards and company policies
- Serves as policy administrator in assigned service center
- Periodically analyzes competitive practices and services within trade area
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of the Service Manager job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.Job duties are performed within an indoor service department (generally 500 to5000 sq. ft.), which opens to the outdoors via overhead doors. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is exposed to varying weather, climate and temperature conditions, mechanical equipment, automotive and industrial cleaning chemicals and noise levels that may reach 110 decibels depending upon type of service being performed. Protective eyewear must be worn in the service area at all times.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Listed below is a table that summarizes the physical activities associated with the position and the average amount of time required of each physical activity. Protective back support belts must be worn while performing strenuous physical activities involving lifting and exerting force.
Essential Physical Activity Requirements
Less than 1/3 of Time
1/3 to 2/3 of Time
More than 2/3 of Time
Pushing / Pulling
3 of the time 1/3 to 2/3 of time More than 2/3 of times than 1/3 of time 1/3 to 2/3 of time More than ime
Essential Weight Lifting/Force Exertion Requirements
Listed below is a table which summarizes the amount of time spent and weight lifted or force exerted in the position.
Less than 1/3 of time 1/3 to 2/3 of time More than 2/3 of time
Less than 1/3 of Time
1/3 to 2/3 of Time
More than 2/3 of Time
More than 21 lbs
Up to 20 lbs