- A very solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system: virtual memory, file system concepts, processes, TCP/IP networking, signals communications and IPC, can use performance analysis to tune systems.
- Solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; understands principles of routing, client/server communication, and the design of consistent network-wide file system layouts.
- A solid understanding of web/OS communication, including dynamics of CGI/OS interaction, why CGIs can be evil.
- Ability to program in an administrative language (Perl, shell); C a plus, but not necessary.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and completely and multitask projects
- Able to work well with customer problems and provide pathway or solutions within a short amount of time.
- Ability to work on tasks and projects alone or as part of a larger team.
- Ability to identify tasks which require automation, and automate them or work with developers to get them automated.
- Desire and ability to lead a project from inception to completion.
- Experience installing and configuring hosts.
- Experience with SCSI (FCAL) device setup and installation.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and ability to work with vendors.
- 5+ years systems administration experience.
- Computer Science degree or a related field.
- Solid experience with specific operating systems (SunOS, Solaris, Linux; HP* and AIX), applications, and programming languages (Shell scripts, Perl; Python and C a plus) in use at the site.
- Solid experience with sites running more than one UNIX-based operating system. Familiarity with both System V and BSD-based UNIX operating systems. Experience with non-UNIX operating systems (for example, Windows family, MacOS) a plus.
- Experience with VxVM, Veritas Clustering, DiskSuite; LVM and similar a plus.
- Extensive programming experience in Perl, C, web-based programming, client/server communication is a big plus.
- Experience with any of Nagios, NetSaint, InterMapper, Cacti, MRTG, SNMP.
- Experience with mainstream applications such as HP OpenView, Tivoli, etc. also a plus
Send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org