SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER
TAE, based in South Orange County, California, is a small and unique company working in the area of energy research in association with local academia, national labs and an international consortium of institutions. TAE has an opening for a Senior Mechanical Engineer responsible for the design, fabrication, and installation of large vacuum vessels, including confinement and divertor vessels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Complete scoping design and simple analysis of vacuum vessels.
· Direct design engineers and analytical staff.
· Locate and select qualified manufacturers
· Write specifications and procedures
· Place purchase orders and follow fabrication and delivery
· Responsible for installation
· Responsible for schedule and cost
· Some limited travel required
· B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
· At least 8 years relevant experience at a senior engineering level in large facility design and construction
· Detailed understanding of mechanical component design
· Experience in the design and fabrication of large multi-disciplinary research & development projects involving large scale components and complex systems
· Able to work independently, as well as a member and coordinator of a team
· Able to manage multiple priorities effectively and have proven decision-making skills
· Capable of reading machining drawings
· Experience with high vacuum vessels and pumping systems
· Knowledge of stainless steel materials
· Good verbal and written communication skills
Software Knowledge and Skills Required:
· MS Office
Other Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Basic understanding of high voltage electrical systems and familiarity with electro-magnets
· Experience in fusion, fission, or other type of power plant design.
· Knowledge of Inconel materials