Xyratex is a leading provider of data storage technology, including modular solutions for the enterprise data storage industry and hard disk drive (HDD) capital equipment for the HDD industry. Xyratex enterprise data storage platforms provide a range of advanced, scalable data storage solutions for the Original Equipment Manufacturer and High Performance Computing communities. As the largest capital equipment supplier to the industry, Xyratex HDD capital equipment enables disk drive manufacturers and their component suppliers to meet today’s technology and productivity requirements. Xyratex has over 25 years of experience in research and development relating to disk drives, storage systems and manufacturing process technology.
Summary: The Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for the electrical systems development in support of the automation & inspection system product lines for current and new products. Specifically, this role will oversee the development and design of various automation controls & safety systems, some electronic PCB, as well as electro-mechanical and electro-optical systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Work closely with the Systems, Mechanical, and Software engineering teams to define and implement all aspects of machine/tool requirement
· Determine electrical architecture and components selection from simple to complex systems
· Design of simple to complex electronic circuits and systems to meet product specifications
· Integration of electronics into other aspects of products including software, mechanics, optics and user interface
· Design and/or specify automation control systems, as well as signal & power distribution boxes/panels
· Analyze and characterize electrical components and circuit
· Responsible for construction of prototype and pilot run articles
· Documentation including generating schematics, bills of material, PCB layout, controls system assembly drawings, procedures, timing diagrams, circuit simulation and operational descriptions
· Anticipate and resolve difficulties in all phases of project activities relating to electronics
· Perform electronic hands on circuit & board assembly, PCB & cable rework, experimental test and evaluations
· Project leadership to include mentoring junior engineers and acting as technical expert for electronics design and development.
· Automation material handling, Robotics, and optical inspection experience are plus; experience in design, simulation and test of low noise small signal analog circuits for high speed data acquisition and mixed signal design, Trans-impedance Amplifiers, Low noise-high speed Operational amplifier, DACs, ADCs, Digital BUS system, Memory management, and Power Electronics
· Must be able to troubleshoot and diagnose electrical system issues and provide a practical solution
· Fluent in utilizing schematic capture tool: Orcad CIS, PSPICE simulation, and Orcad/Allegro/Mentor
· Graphic Layout tool or equivalent tool. Autocad/Solidworks is a plus
· Ability to work in a clean room environment. Typical Class 10 to Class 1000
· BSEE or equivalent
· A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant electrical design experience in integration of automation controls & safety systems.
· Electronics design experience is a plus. This includes: high-speed digital, high speed analog, high speed mix signal devices, low noise analog design, Microcontroller/ FPGA design, understanding RF principle, and PCB layout practical experience into electro- mechanical and electro-optical systems. Familiar with Xilinx FPGA development tool, Cadence and Mentor Graphics design tool including FPGA
· Knowledge of microprocessor and FPGA system architecture is also a plus. Transistor circuit theory; Operational Amplifier, TTL, MSI, LSI and VLSI device operation; and high-speed printed circuit board layout and design incorporating fine pitch surface mount devices and BGA devices
· Analyzing and interpreting data
· Communicating with the public; attend User Conferences
· Creating written documentation
· This role will be primarily based in an office setting.
· Natural and fluorescent lighting
· Occasional domestic and international travel, at times on short notice
· Current passport and no history of declined visas, or entry refusal to any country
Please apply at www.xyratex.com
Xyratex International understands the advantages in creating a diverse workforce and the importance of equal employment opportunity. We are an equal opportunity employer. We are an E-Verify employer.