How would you like to build large scale cloud based systems to apply Information Retrieval, NLP and Data Mining techniques on the world’s largest product catalog and influence the way millions of customers discover products? If you are a technology leader that thrives on solving hard problems in a fast-paced environment then this opportunity is for you.
As a senior technology leader in the Amazon Search and Discovery group, you will own the ‘Scalable Faceted Search and Feature Extraction’ program. At Amazon, we pride ourselves on providing a large product selection to our customers. A large selection also presents significant challenges in providing the best product discovery experience that can scale with the size and diversity of the selection. As part of this program, we detect product features from un-structured product data, build semantically labelled search facets, and enrich structured data in the product catalog.
In this position you will:
· Develop the long-term strategy for your programs and translate that into an achievable road map.
· Own the complete end-to-end solution, starting from researching new techniques and algorithms, implementing a scalable and reliable solution, and monitoring the ongoing impact.
· Lead a nimble team of software engineers and junior managers to architect, develop, test and deploy high quality software solutions.
· Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments. Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment.
· Report on status of development, quality, and operations to management.
· Build and maintain inter team relationships on your team’s behalf. Be the evangelist and point of contact for your team.
· Manage departmental resources: hiring, mentoring, career management and maintaining a high performing team.
You are a seasoned people manager who has led engineering teams preferably in the areas of Information Retrieval, Data Mining or NLP. You thrive on tackling very hard problems; have great problem-solving skills and many years of hands-on software development skills. You are an excellent communicator, both verbal and written, and equally adept at communicating upwards and downwards. You are curious, love to dive deep, collect data to make well informed decisions, but use sound judgment in the face of insufficient data. You are abreast of the latest technology developments and push your teams to innovate. You have strong leadership qualities, and a track record of delivering great solutions.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math or related field with 5+ years of experience as a software developer
· 5+ years of experience managing team of software engineers including identifying, hiring and developing top talent
· Experience with Object Oriented Design/Languages and full product life cycles.
· Advanced degree in Computer Science, Math or related field
· 10+ years of experience managing team of software engineers
· Experience managing junior managers
· Experience in Data Mining, Information Retrieval, NLP or Machine Learning
· Experience in big data processing techniques like Hadoop, Hive
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Strong analytic and problem solving skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong business and technical vision