Reports To: Division SVP
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
Analyze applications submitted by partner wholesale brokers to build a book of private company Management Liability (D&O, EPL and Fiduciary) business by utilizing underwriting guidelines and rating rules to achieve growth and profitability objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews applications and analyzes financial statements to determine acceptability of risk in accordance with guidelines and appetite.
- Prioritizes and manages personal inventory of business opportunities and in force policies in accordance with service standards.
- Understands pricing components and rating methodology to price business based on risk characteristics, financial review and competitive analysis.
- Uses appropriate underwriting disciplines and knowledge of strategies to ensure underwriting guidelines are followed.
- Demonstrates technical underwriting skills through strategic account review and detailed file documentation.
- Keeps current on state/territory issues, regulations and trends.
- Communicates underwriting decisions and risk appetite to the brokerage community.
- Manages assigned producer relationships to achieve gross written premium, profitability, rate, retention, product mix and new business production goals.
- Develops and maintains producer relationships through targeted travel to build agency intelligence and drive performance to meet and exceed results.
- Follows broker specific production plans, monitors performance, and suggests adjustments to plan to ensure profitable growth.
- Develop manuscript endorsement wording on an as needed basis.
- Assist in internal and external audits.
- Assist in the testing of underwriting systems for IT.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Proficient in risk selection and pricing to achieve an underwriting profit.
- Ability to thoroughly analyze financial statements for acceptability standards.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively build and strengthen professional relationships.
- Knowledge of rates, rules, and forms for assigned product line.
- Competent in use of technology as a tool to help improve underwriting efficiencies.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Four year college degree. Business degree preferred.
- 7+ years of underwriting experience in the insurance industry.
- 5+ years of Management Liability underwriting experience with exposure to D&O, EPL and Fiduciary lines of business.
About Maxum Specialty Insurance Group
Maxum Specialty Insurance Group was founded in 2003 by a highly experienced team of insurance industry experts. Maxum Specialty Insurance Group (Group) is comprised of Maxum Indemnity Company and Maxum Casualty Insurance Company. Maxum Indemnity is an authorized non-admitted excess and surplus lines insurer in 48 states; the District of Columbia; and the territories of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Maxum Casualty is an approved admitted carrier in 50 states and the District of Columbia. Both companies are domiciled in Delaware. Maxum writes business through a select group of primarily independent wholesale brokers and general agents. In the past few years, the Group has enjoyed significant growth and expansion into new markets. Today, the Group is rated A-VIII from A.M. Best and its statutory surplus has grown to more than $108 million, for additionalinformationvisit www.mxmsig.com