Regular Full-TimeJob Code
Questcor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a specialty biopharmaceutical company which provides products for patients with serious, difficult-to-treat autoimmune and inflammatory disorders. We support research in a number of rare conditions, including in treatment-resistant patient populations, in which there is significant need for improved therapeutic options. Questcor was awarded Orange County Register’s #1 Best Large Company of 2012 and Forbes’ Magazine’s #1 Best Small Company award in 2011, #7 in 2012, and #1 in 2013.
We are currently seeking an Associate Director, Translational Research (Pharmacology).
The Associate Director of Translational Research (Pharmacology) will report to the Director of Translational Research (Pharmacology) within Research and Development (R&D). The individual’s overall responsibility will be to design, oversee and interpret in vitro, in situ and in vivo studies in order to determine the biological profile of multiple peptide products and the contribution of each peptide to the profile. R&D is responsible for all FDA and non-FDA-related company sponsored research. Overall, the group is seeking a creative and experienced scientist fluent in preclinical study design and the intricacies of biologic mechanisms of disease.Responsibilities:
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Design, oversee and interpret cell-based and plate-based assays to enable the differentiation of peptides
- Design, oversee, and interpret in vitro, in situ and in vivo studies to understand the peptide receptor pharmacology, the mechanism of action, the targets, the structure activity relationship, and the in vivo impact on healthy and diseased animal models
- Contributes to research programs based on an understanding of the pathophysiology of disease, mechanism of action of drugs, and the relevance of targeted pathways in defined patient populations
- Designs and writes study protocols and final reports for internal and external presentations
- Be knowledgeable of recent and past pharmacology and pathophysiology research for assigned teams
- Works collaboratively with Project Management in the design and performance of research studies according to pre-determined timelines
- Work to meet the corporate and R&D goals
- Collaborate with members of other groups in the company (e.g., Regulatory Affairs, Medical Affairs, Pharmaceutical Development, Sales/Marketing) to achieve corporate goals
- Identify CROs, academic groups, or organizations that can execute desired studies in pharmacology
- Prepares documents for FDA and other regulatory agencies
- Meets with the FDA and other regulatory agencies as needed for discussions regarding the pharmacology of Questcor’s compounds
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty independently and with assistance when necessary. The list below represents some of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
- Ability to work in a small focused technical team, operating as an effective communicator, idea contributor, study designer, and data analyst.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including being able to effectively present information and respond to questions from project teams, external vendors, KOLs, and customers.
- Anticipate and identify core problems, apply insightful analysis, and solve problems effectively
- Have strong organization skills and the flexibility to react rapidly to changing situations/environment.
- Develop and maintain systems and processes to perform duties required to complete studies and projects in a timely manner, within budget, and of the quality required to meet corporate and R&D goals.
Able to work in the confines of our processes, yet help to improve them as needed. Able to provide high quality work and achieve R&D goals.
Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Internet software, E-mail, and preferably GraphPad Prism
- Ph.D. or equivalent in pharmacology, immunology or a related field, and at least 6 years of post-Ph.D. experience working as a receptor pharmacologist in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry, designing and conducting drug discovery and/or development projects
- Possess a broad technical knowledge of in vitro methods used in preclinical drug discovery and development
- Experience working with peptides and/or GPCRs
- Experience designing drug mechanism of action-based studies and differentiating drugs with respect to their in vitro and in vivo functional profiles
- Experience with designing and interpreting results for SAR non-clinical experiments
- Experience with in vivo animal models
- Experience interacting and collaborating with scientists of various disciplines
- Experience on drug discovery and/or product development teams
- Experience writing, reviewing and editing protocols and study reports
- Ability to manage deadlines
- Ability to work independently and to adapt to rapidly changing project priorities
- Proven ability to provide solutions to a variety of technical problems of moderate
- Experience in immunology
- Prior experience working in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc. offers employees a Total Rewards package, which includes competitive base pay and bonus opportunities, excellent benefits, an outstanding work environment and the chance to grow, both financially and professionally.
For more information, you may view our website at http://www.questcor.com/careers/company-benefits.
Questcor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.