Department: Elkridge/VNA Healthcare
Schedule: Full time hourly with Benefits (nonexempt)
Shift: Day shift
Job Details - 1-2 years experience required
Collection specialists make a positive difference at MedStar by securing payments in a timely manner when resubmitting bills, following up with third party payers, and ensuring the timely and proper resolution of Patient Accounts.
* Review accounts to determine status of payments and action required to expedite payment. Review monthly all patient accounts assigned, enter detailed account notes to document activity and action taken. Report issues to Accounts Receivable Manager.
* Review and process remittance recommendation and correspondence. Analyze partial payment denials and report recurring denials resulting in slow payment. Review with manager to determine if denials are in compliance with Maryland state laws. Appeal when necessary.
* Utilize uniform collection follow-up procedures based upon payer specific requirements. Complete review of accounts daily from assigned payer accounts receivable report. Follow-up with third party payers and patients to effectively decrease accounts receivable in compliance with departmental goals.
* Maintain ongoing knowledge of HCFA1500 and other mandatory billing forms and filing requirements. Ensure claims collection is in compliance of CPT, HCPCS and ICD9 coding regulations and guidelines as necessary for payment.
* Education: High school graduation or equivalent; knowledge of medical terminology and third party payers.
* EXPERIENCE: One year third party reimbursement experience, including billing and/or collections, in a healthcare setting; hands-on experience working with claim form HICFA 1500 and remittance. Extensive experience with third party payer contracts required. Thorough knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid/commercial insurance billing & claims required.
* Skills: Proficient use of healthcare billing systems. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Working knowledge of various computer software applications, including Microsoft Office applications. Strong mathematical, analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to work independently. Strong commitment to quality and customer service. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Facility Location: MedStar VNA, Calverton Office - Calverton, MD
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment:Medical, Medicare, Medicaid, Healthcare