Emerson Network Power, Energy Systems North America has an immediate opening for a Design Engineer Hardware / Firmware located in its Lorain, Ohio facility. Emerson Network Power, Energy Systems, North America is a leading manufacturer and marketer of telecommunications power and outside plant products and provides world-class services. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois with operations across the globe, Emerson Network Power, Energy Systems offers excellent career opportunities for motivated individuals.
This position will be responsible for technical development activities associated with hardware, firmware and microprocessors throughout a wide range of applications. This position serves as the key technical interface between external customers, business development, product line management and Engineering on all activities related to controlling and monitoring DC Telecom Power Systems, Outside Plant Enclosures, Hybrid Solar and Wind power solutions, along with a host of developing market opportunities. The successful candidate must be able to interface technically with potential customers and remotely based engineering and marketing teams to quickly formulate new product ideas or concepts to support business opportunities. This person must have an expert knowledge of hardware components, firmware development and microprocessors and their usage in outside plant cabinets, network system architectures and DC power. Additionally, this person must possess strong engineering and business skills to interface with both internal and external customers.
- Provide technical leadership architecting, developing and refining hardware monitoring, control and data gathering solutions for a wide range of customer applications such as Telecom power systems, alternative energy systems and industrial applications
- Work in a collaborative team environment to define new product features, technology and product roadmaps, data mining and data analytic techniques to bring increased product and customer value
- Innovation leader and driver for all aspects of digital hardware design and embedded firmware
- Develop technical product specifications related to digital hardware and embedded firmware and drive the execution of these requirements via the product development process.
- Manage and guide the development of technical specifications, concepts and designs for 16/32 bit microprocessors
- Manage and guide the development of technical specifications, concepts and designs for 8/16 bit microcontrollers
- Guide the design and architecture of equipment displays – such as touch screens and graphical interfaces – and associated display drivers
- Lead the development of communication architectures between system level controllers, monitoring equipment and corresponding system elements
- Work with Product Line Management and Business Development groups to support customer technical interaction
- Assist in the development of global requirements for controller based products utilized in Telecom DC Power Systems and Outdoor Enclosure products
- Provide team leadership to a group of experienced hardware and firmware developers
- Leverage global development resources (internal & external) to rapidly provide customer product concepts and solutions
- Contribute new and innovative ideas to rapidly evolving business development activities outside of traditional Telecom applications
- Stay abreast of latest hardware and firmware technologies and trends
- Understand and recommend appropriate communication protocols (i.e. SNMP, TL1, CAN, I2C) to maximize customer value and product features
- BSEE required / MSEE or higher preferred
- 5+ years experience in control / monitoring product development
- Experience with product development process and product maintenance activities such as BOMs maintenance, technical documentation review, customer doc review
- Previous hands on product development experience in embedded software development, communication protocols, processor architectures
- Experience with MRP systems - SAP preferred.
- Experience with software development tools.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to respond to changing priorities on a daily basis without losing vision on previous assignments
- Ability to forecast completion dates and willingness to meet the dates.
- Excellent Organization and time management skills are a must.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must (English required)
- Ability to read, interpret and implement electric and electronic schematics.
- Ability to identify circuit components and develop concept models
This position requires up to 25% domestic and international travel.
Emerson Network Power is an equal opportunity employer. It will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, gender, national origin, color, disability, genetic information, protected veterans, or any other factor made unlawful by applicable laws and regulations. Emerson is committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment