Our client is a major hedge fund located in midtown Manhattan. They utilize a global multi-strategy investment approach with over $4 Billion AUM, and are seeking a Manager of Front Office Software Development. The manager will direct a staff of approximately 6-10 programmer/analysts, while overseeing and influencing the technology strategy and direction for the firm’s software systems. The new manager will be expected to gain buy-in, architect and maintain an IT software strategy that supports the current and future needs for the fund in all of its investment activities. Key interfaces include over 30 Portfolio Managers in multiple locations, Risk Manager, Operations managers and other technology executives.
- Direct and work together with developers to plan and execute projects, ensure that they have appropriate specifications, direction, and resources to deliver systems effectively by establishing realistic estimates for timelines while ensuring that projects remain on target to meet deadlines.
- Track and report the status of projects, acting as a gateway through which work should be assigned while ensuring that project scope is adequately defined
- Evolve the existing software applications and architecture in various areas as needed.
- Ensure a deep understanding of each application, its architecture and configuration is maintained throughout the development process.
- Work with the IT Infrastructure team, as well as external suppliers, to improve the overall service quality and reduce the overall operational cost.
- Ten or more years of software development experience supporting hedge fund, asset management, banking or other financial services activities.
- At least 5 years of designing and managing enterprise quality, C# .Net based IT projects with a team of developers, ideally with hands-on skills still current.
- Excellent project management experience.
- Strong analytical skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements.
- Demonstrated breadth of securities product knowledge.
- Previous experience directing resources, deadlines, and standards.
- Ability to communicate and interact with senior management at the business level.
- Familiarity with critical vendor systems, including Advent Geneva & Eze Castle OMS/EMS would be desirable
- Balanced experience utilizing both build and buy, in-house and external solutions.
- Track record of management progression and proven ability to perform at a senior level.
- A college degree in computer science, mathematics or a related major is required. An advanced degree would enhance the candidate’s qualifications.
The compensation will be commensurate with the experience level of qualified candidates. For a senior candidate with relevant domain knowledge, your base could potentially reach the $250K range, with an additional bonus potentially taking the overall comp package into the $400K range or higher, since this role has an extremely high strategic priority supporting the firm's core business efforts.