Get new similar jobs by email for
Diesel Truck Technician
Experienced Diesel Technician/Mechanic
About the Job
Freightliner of Savannah is a full service truck dealership looking for highly qualified technicians furnishing a complete set of hand tools to work full time on Freightliner trucks, Cummins and Detroit Diesel Engines. Seeking technicians with electronic trouble shooting, Detroit and Cummins engine experience, transmission / driveline experience. CDL license A or B is a plus. Must be focused and motivated with a positive attitude. Excellent pay depending on experience. Benefits include health ins, 401(k), OT opportunities, factory training programs paid by company, vacation and sick days, uniforms, etc.
Work Schedule: 2nd Shift 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Major Responsibilities: - Demonstrate proficiency in the repair and diagnosis of : Engines (diesel), Power train to include differentials, transmissions, clutches, drive shafts, PTO's and wheel ends, Electrical systems including starters and alternators, HVAC systems, Steering systems, Electronics to include ECM's, ECU's, sensors etc., Engine bolt on items such as turbos, fan clutches, injectors, cooling system etc., Brake systems including ABS, Suspension systems (spring and air)
- Perform mechanical and general appearance reconditioning of equipment for "trade-ins" and prepare new equipment for delivery.
- Identify and determine parts required for repair of disassembled units
- Perform all levels of preventive maintenance services
- Identify warrantable repairs and document on repair order
- Maintain work area appearance and safety
- Road test Vehicles when necessary to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure that they are working properly.
- Use hand tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists.
- Inspect brake systems, steering mechanisms, wheel bearings, and other important parts to ensure that they are in proper operating condition.
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment and machinery.
- Adjust and replace brakes, tighten bolts and screws, and reassemble equipment.
- Raise trucks, buses, and heavy parts or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists.
- Inspect, test, and listen to defective equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using test instruments such as handheld computers, motor analyzers, chassis charts, and pressure gauges.
- Examine and adjust protective guards, loose bolts, and specified safety devices.
- Inspect and verify dimensions and clearances of parts to ensure conformance to factory specifications.
- Specialize in repairing and troubleshooting of major components such as engine, transmissions and differentials, to include replacing complete assemblies, turbochargers, fuel system components etc.
- Current CDL license with air brake certification preferred, willingness to acquire CDL if you do not have one.
- Basic computer skills preferred for data entry into maintenance systems.
- Ability to work in non-climate controlled conditions required
- Willingness to travel as necessary within the district (customers yards, close geographical area and training sites), work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete a company employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the technician to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The technician must regularly lift and /or move up to 25lbs, frequently lift and/or move up to 50lbs and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the technician is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The technician is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- 2- 5 years practical experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Proficiency in the use of shop tools required
- A valid drivers license is required