Get new similar jobs by email for
Sr. Manager, C/L Underwriting
This position is with MAPFRE Insurance located in Webster, MA.
Provides strategic and managerial direction to the Commercial Lines Underwriting Department, Principally through the underwriting supervisors, and through participation on the Commercial Lines business strategy committees. Directs the efforts of the Commercial Lines Underwriting Department in terms of identifying and implementing underwriting systems and procedures that will improve the effectiveness and/or efficiency of the department's operational performance. Directs the efforts of the department to assure quality agency relations are maintained, and works to assure each agent maintains a profitable book of business. Works to assure maximum profitability is attained in each line of business, while assuring we offer competitive products to our agents. Oversees the training and continued career development of the department's staff members, and the hiring of additional staff when justified. Represents the Commercial Lines Underwriting Department, on operational-based issues, with other MAPFRE Insurance departments, outside vendors, and on industry issues.
· Education: Bachelor's Degree or professional level of knowledge in a specialized field, or equivalent related experience preferred.
· Experience: 9 - 11 years or Master's Degree equivalent plus 7 - 9 years.
· Knowledge: Extensive level of professional knowledge in field across multiple disciplines and broad business segment. Extensive knowledge of management practices.
· Decision Making: Decisions have a significant impact on results for a major portion of a company. Interprets and operationalizes company policies. Determines organizational objectives; sets policy. Responsible for operations of major significance to the organization. Decisions potentially affect financial, employee, or public relations standing of the company or a major business segment. Problems are abstract and impact multiple functions and portions of the company.
· Supervision Received: Acts independently, guided only by very broad company policies and objectives. Work is reviewed from a strategic, relatively long-term perspective against major objectives impacting a major portion of the company.
· Leadership: Manages multiple functions, typically via subordinate managers, or manages an exceptionally high impact function. Develops and communicates function organizational vision. Ensures that overall organizational objectives, budgets, schedules, and performance standards are realistically set and attained.
· Problem Solving /Operations/Direct Work Involvement: May have overall responsibility for the operation of a major profit center or segment of the company. Reallocates resources as required to meet goals.
· Client Contacts: Frequent contacts with internal and external parties at various management levels concerning operations or scheduling project phases. Communication typically involves persuasion, and negotiation with middle and senior management levels.
Prior underwriting supervisory experience.
Working knowledge of the rate setting process, and product development.
About MAPFRE Insurance:
We are a leading property and casualty insurer committed to recognizing our employees as our most valuable resource. We are focused on attracting, developing, engaging and retaining quality employees to ensure mutual success. We offer competitive wages and benefits including: Health, Dental, Life, PTO, Holidays, 401(k), Profit Sharing, STD/LTD, Tuition Reimbursement, Flexible work schedules and a Casual attire environment.
Our Employee Value Proposition:
We have earned a solid reputation as a "great place to work." Our employees have stated that we offer the following:
Competitive Total Compensation/Benefit Package
Financially Stable Company
Future Career Opportunities
Convenient Company Locations
Quality Management and Colleagues
Strong People Management Practices
Quality Senior Leadership Reputation
If this position/job title is not posted on our website, please apply for future openings. To view complete job descriptions and apply, please visit jobs.mapfreinsurance.com
To apply for this position, please click the "Apply" button below.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
American Commerce Insurance Company | The Commerce Insurance Company | Commerce West Insurance Company | Citation Insurance Company | MAPFRE Insurance Company | MAPFRE Insurance Company of Florida | MAPFRE Insurance Company of New York