We are currently seeking a Glass Scientist – Glass Technology Specialist to join our Corporate R&D team at our world headquarters in Perrysburg, Ohio.
We are currently seeking a Glass Scientist with specialization in glass technology to join our Research and Development (R&D) team in Perrysburg, OH. The desired candidate will help deliver on highly complex, multi-discipline technology advancement projects. The candidate must understand and apply sound engineering principles and fundamental scientific understanding to glass technologies, including batch and melting reactions, glass product process development and engineering, and corrosion mechanisms of refractory materials.
(All other duties as assigned)
- Plan, lead and execute experiments related to developing and improving glass technologies as well as experiments involving molten glass and refractories.
- Interface between Research and Development and Plant Engineering to develop and lead advancement of new processes, products, and technologies that improve melting and forming operations
- Perform technical analyses of batch, melting or forming processes and apply the results toward improving processes
- Design & execute experiments (statistical DOE); and perform data analysis and interpretation
- Coordinate testing and support laboratory, pilot plant, and/or in-plant data generation and analysis
- Document results in reports and patent disclosures; and provide recommendations and conclusions to multi-disciplinary teams that support project objectives
- Apply problem solving skills in R&D, pilot, and plant environments
- Engage in scale-up activities to support commercialization efforts from research and development to manufacturing
- Meet and plan with prospective technology suppliers and partners to identify potential relationships
- Mentor and support junior scientific and engineering personnel
SCOPE AND IMPACT:
Performs broad range of work with little supervision while receiving guidance on more complex issues from management.
Provides technical expertise to a project team responsible for designing and developing new glass technology and process equipment. Plans and executes independent work within the project team. Devises and implements new approaches to solving problems. Comfortable with managing risks and creating change.
- Advanced degree in Glass Science, or in Materials or Ceramic Science that afforded glass specialization, along with 3 to 7+ years of professional experience, or a B.S. degree with 5 to 10+ years of experience. Duration range of experience is mandatory
- Solid educational and experimental foundation with a professional track record that demonstrates a strong working knowledge of glass science.
- Examples include: utilization of phase diagrams and chemical reaction pathways in understanding glass batch melting, the understanding the corrosion mechanisms of refractory materials by molten glass (including effects of redox chemistry), and the understanding of the forming process technology of glass products
- General personal computer knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Strong communication skills are required to communicate project information in a professional manner to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Open minded with a strong desire to work with and contribute to an innovative R&D team
- Experience with structured product development (stage-gate) processes
- Experience in the manufacture of industrial glass or of high-temperature materials such as ceramics
- Physical property measurement experience (density, hardness, strength)
- Analytical characterization methods (SEM/EDS, optical microscopy)
- Experience with spectroscopic means of investigating materials (XPS, IR and UV vis)
- Familiarity with process modeling is a plus, including prior experience working with modelers on the design of new equipment and utilizing modeling results to guide process operation development and process equipment design
This position will report to the R&D Glass Science discipline leader, as well as to the technical leader and project manager of the project(s) to which the individual is assigned by the discipline leader.
The position will require 10 – 15% travel, both domestic and international.
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Click Here to Apply!
Owens-Illinois, Inc. (NYSE: OI) is the world's largest glass container manufacturer and preferred partner for many of the world's leading food and beverage brands. The Company had revenues of $7.0 billion in 2013 and employs approximately 22,500 people at 77 plants in 21 countries. With global headquarters in Perrysburg, Ohio, USA, O-I delivers safe, sustainable, pure, iconic, brand-building glass packaging to a growing global marketplace. For more information, visit www.o-i.com
O-I's Glass Is Life™ movement promotes the widespread benefits of glass packaging in key markets around the globe. Join us in the #betteringlass conversation at www.glassislife.com
O-I is an Equal Opportunity Employer