Get new similar jobs by email for
Job Title: In-House Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Hospital Development
Work Schedule: Full-time
Exemption Status: Exempt
GENERAL STATEMENT (Summary of Duties and Responsibilities):
The LifeShare In-House Coordinator is responsible for the development and maintenance of professional relationships with hospital contacts, the coordination and execution of general educational activities, the maintenance and facilitation of the strategic plan for donation performance improvements and the sustained implementation of donation “best practices” within the designated hospital(s). The Coordinator is also responsible for the clinical evaluation of potential donor patients, the collaboration with hospital staff in preservation of donation options and the presentation of donation options to legal next-of-kin/family support. The Coordinator is expected to spend a majority of working hours in the hospital(s) carrying out the above responsibilities and other activities such as donation follow up, process variance resolution and “real-time” activities and education.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Licensed Registered Nurse, Physician’s Assistant or Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related health field required.
2. Two years in health care preferred. Two years critical care experience preferred.
3. Demonstrated abilities in both autonomous project management and effective teamwork are an absolute necessity.
4. Must have an ability to act with flexibility and to maintain order in an environment of changing priorities and be capable of handling highly stressful situations in a calm, mature manner.
5. Strong organizational skills, demonstrated competence in short and long-range strategic planning, a track record of successful independent work and the ability to participate as a member of a team are essential.
6. Demonstrated public speaking ability is also a valued skill.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Develop strategic plans for the designated hospital(s) within the LifeShare service area. These strategies should include goals, objectives and educational plans to maximize organ and tissue donor referral and recovery activity at each institution. Working with the Director of Hospital Development, the In-House Coordinator will proactively and regularly communicate the strategic plan and updates as appropriate.
2. Plan and implement individualized educational programs designed as in-services, workshops or seminars for groups or cross-sections of healthcare professionals.
3. Meet regularly with hospital staff during scheduled appointments and informal, unscheduled visits, present donation-related in-services, hold meetings, consistently update donation-related resource areas in hospitals, and resolve problems while maintaining a positive professional profile as a representative of LifeShare and donation within the institution(s).
4. Effectively carry out all associated responsibilities such as daily donation activity checks, immediate donation outcome notification to involved hospital staff & key players, constructive on-site presence during organ donation cases, timely follow-up after all organ donation cases, fulfillment of hospital data and resource requests, consistent facilitation of processes such as OPO-hospital “Huddles” and other agreed-upon hospital-specific processes, and completion of After Action Reviews with recognition and communication of process improvement opportunities.
5. Accept and prepare for "on-call" responsibilities as assigned.
6. Provide on-site clinical and social evaluation of all potential organ/tissue donors at the designated hospital(s). Work appropriately with other LifeShare staff to determine medical suitability for donation.
7. Determine the legal next-of-kin for a potential donor. Honor First Person Authorization for each patient who is of legal age and makes this determination.
8. Determine the appropriate approach strategy for the potential donor’s next-of-kin to ensure a compassionate, sensitive and effective approach when offering the option of organ and tissue donation.
9. Present the option of donation to the legal next-of-kin. Act as the professional resource to the family regarding the options of organ and tissue donation.
10. Complete the signed and witnessed donation forms per LifeShare policy.
11. Obtain a complete medical and social history on the donor from the individual best able to provide accurate and complete medical and social history information.
12. Ensure that all other donation related documentation including documentation required to comply with hospital protocol are properly signed and witnessed.
13. Work cooperatively with the LifeShare Hospital Development team to ensure that all general departmental standards and hospital services are fulfilled.
14. Actively participate in required LifeShare and Hospital Development departmental meetings. In conjunction with the Director of Hospital Development, identify and facilitate updates on information related to the designated hospital(s) to LifeShare Hospital Development and Recovery staff.
15. Design, maintain and utilize up-to-date donation resources and audio/visual aids.
16. Maintain detailed, complete, and accurate records (including all organ and tissue donor referrals, donation discussions, electronic files of key hospital contacts, and records of meetings, educational activities, etc).
17. Recognize opportunities to promote donation through special interest groups. Be available to work with LifeShare for inter-departmental initiatives.
18. Appropriately and consistently communicate hospital updates and scheduling changes with Director of Hospital Development.
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Note: These “non-essential job functions” represent job functions which the incumbent is responsible for performing. However, if necessary, these job functions could be performed by other personnel.
1. Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge of organ/tissue donation and transplantation and
healthcare education through review of available current industry information and
participation in relevant educational programs.
2. Define personal and professional goals and develop a plan to achieve those goals.
3. Pursue professional growth in the field through participation in relevant conferences and membership in other professional organizations.
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT/WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. This is a full-time position based in Tulsa.
2. Working evenings and weekends may be required occasionally to perform the tasks outlined in the job description.
3. The incumbent in this position has some potential of occupational exposure through
donor case observations.
4. The position also requires the ability to lift and carry objects such as portable
audiovisual equipment and professional education displays up to 40 pounds with
5. Travel by personal auto, charter or commercial aircraft may be required with reimbursement for personal auto use provided by the company policy according to the IRS policy. (Essential job function)
General office equipment
OTHER: (i.e., access to confidential information):
The In-House Coordinator is expected to maintain confidentiality of all donor/recipient and personnel information.
Date Prepared: September 4, 2012
I have received a copy of my job description with LifeShare Transplant Donor Services of Oklahoma, Inc. (LifeShare of Oklahoma). I understand I am to become familiar with this job description as it outlines my responsibilities (essential and non-essential job functions). If I have questions, I understand that I should talk to my supervisor and/or human resources.
This job description represents a summary of some of the more important job functions. It is not all-inclusive.
LifeShare of Oklahoma retains the sole right to change, modify, suspend, interpret, or cancel in whole, or in part, any of the published or unpublished company guidelines or practices. LifeShare of Oklahoma can take such actions without advance notice and without having to give cause or justification.
This job description does not constitute an expressed or implied contract of employment. I have the right to end my work relationship with LifeShare of Oklahomawith or without advance notice or cause. LifeShare of Oklahoma has the same right.
Employee Name (print)
This job description was viewed and approved by the Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer Date
LifeShare Transplant Donor Services of Okla., Inc.
Prepared: September 4, 2012