Reports to Director of Supply Chain and is responsible for Inbound Operations (Unload, Receipt and Put-away), Outbound Operations (Pick, Pack, & Ship), Inventory Control, Logistics and Carrier management for the U.S. Microbiology Division including Lenexa Central Distribution and the supporting distribution facilities. This position involves planning, coordination and organization of distribution and storage of materials and products. Directs all tactical activities related to distribution and related support services, as well as long-term planning, budgeting and fiscal management. Additional responsibilities include communicating and coordinating activities with other Thermo Fisher Scientific departments that work closely with Distribution.
- Supervising the quality, cost and efficiency of storage and movement of goods to ensure operational excellence in all warehousing and distribution activities. Drive reporting, analysis and actions to generate operational efficiencies. Direct and support CDC Manager and Branch Coordinators in strategic and tactical activities for finished goods warehousing and distribution.
- Manage to ensure warehouse layout is optimally aligned for maximum efficiency as seasonal and inventory needs require.
- Establish and implement business strategies, plans and objectives as needed to support short and long-range business needs. Develop and operate within annual expense, capital and personnel budgets.
- Analyze information to monitor plan performance improvements and products and goods demand.
- Evaluate, plan and budget for equipment and staffing needs of distribution centers. Manage and allocate staff resources accordant with changing needs. Manage labor and equipment needs based upon short and long-range business plan and forecasts.
- Analyze distribution and logistical problems, developing solutions and increasing business growth by winning new contracts and maintaining customer loyalty. Apply PPI and lean principles across distribution operations.
- Align with Global Sourcing and Real Estate. Negotiate and optimize costs for freight and warehouses. Analyze internal MBD network and external TMO network of DC's to determine most efficient and cost-effective use of existing capital and labor for customer replenishment. Support and lead analysis and recommendations regarding potential new sites for distribution. Coordinate branch sizing analysis with Maintenance and Finance to ensure locations are correctly sized for short and long-term needs. Understand and participate in branch leasing arrangements.
- Find and implement financially-feasible software and hardware efficiency solutions that drive efficiency and safety improvements.
- Ensure compliance with company standards for cost control, EHS and external agencies.
- Coordinate with Sales and Customer Support departments to ensure customer requirements are met and complaints are resolved in a timely and acceptable manner.
- Direct activities to support company inventory policies and initiatives.
- Maximize employee retention and effectiveness through training and incentives.
- Negotiate freight rates, logistics and services agreements and monitor trends in shipping patterns and lane utilization to minimize overall net freight costs.
- Perform required personnel related activities and paperwork within established guidelines and timelines.
- Coordinate with Materials Management to achieve internal logistics efficiencies, minimization of waste, and maximization of customer service levels.
- Establish a culture of safety though-out the operation by following existing safety policies and procedures and developing new standards as required for the business. Monitor DC and Logistics safety, physical security, and operational-related metrics to maintain a safe work environment, reporting any actual or potential safety hazards to the Human Resources Safety Specialist or Senior Management.
- Travel as required.
- In addition, other duties may be assigned as the need arises.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Operations Management, or have a minimum of ten years experience in a Distribution or Manufacturing environment with related management or supervisory experience.
- Excellent leadership, negotiation, organizational and analytical skills. Ability to summarize and transform data into action plans in a must.
- Ability to effectively hire, train and develop personnel.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office applications, ERP operating systems and other applicable computer software programs. SAP is preferred.
- Excellence in problem solving, Long-term planning, budgeting and program management.
- Knowledge and experience implementing software and hardware solutions for large scale distribution and logistics operation.
- Strong working knowledge of time & motion studies, engineering standards, and DC lay-out.
- APICS, ISM, Six Sigma certification desired.
- Lean Operations and Six Sigma training and experience. Must be able to train and lead teams.
- Understanding of key financial measures and ability to exert fiscal control.
- Strong communication skills and ability to coordinate with multiple functional areas.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory standards and ability to implement effectively.