Founded in 1927 and headquartered in Warsaw, Indiana, Zimmer designs, develops, manufactures and markets orthopaedic reconstructive, spinal and trauma devices, dental implants, and related surgical products. Zimmer has operations in more than 25 countries around the world and sells products in more than 100 countries. Zimmer's 2010 sales were approximately $4.2 billion. The Company is supported by the efforts of approximately 8,000 employees worldwide.
Zimmer reconstructive orthopaedic implants restore joint function lost due to disease or trauma in joints such as knees, hips, shoulders and elbows. Zimmer Reconstructive represents the largest segment of Zimmer business, with about 80 percent of total Zimmer global sales. Zimmer is a global market leader in both Hip and Knee products, and is emerging as a leading company in Extremities. Zimmer continues to develop the industry's most innovative technologies, including Zimmer Patient Specific Instruments, Trabecular Metal(TM) Technology, and Zimmer Gender Solutions(TM). Primary Zimmer Reconstructive locations are in Warsaw, Indiana, and in Winterthur, Switzerland.
Responsible for directing the development and execution of comprehensive marketing plans, programs, and budgets to meet company sales profit objectives and optimize market opportunities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities* Oversee the formulation of marketing strategies and tactical execution including pricing, selection or market segments for special emphasis, promotional and advertising support of sales, and specifying the necessary product characteristics.
* Directs regular review of markets and products to identify promising opportunities for creating separate product businesses and specialized professional areas.
* Participates in conventions and professional exhibitions to maintain company image and remain aware of product requirements and new market opportunities
* Prepares long range, annual, quarterly, and monthly forecasts for each product line. Analyzes and reviews forecasts variances and recommends corrective actions to minimize future back orders or potential obsolescence.
* Develops and maintains product line technical expertise and contacts with key surgeons and customers of product responsibility by observing surgery, attending medical/scientific meetings, presentations, and seminars while gathering competitive information.
* Directs medical education courses including setting the faculty, initiating the topics to be covered, and working with surgeons in presentations to help promote Zimmer product.
* Develops and manages assigned budgets for administration and marketing activities of the products that are assigned to this responsibility.
* Determines list pricing for all products via thorough competitive analysis, market trends, etc.
* Conducts market research activities to analyze and identify market needs and issues.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties or functions and may not necessarily comprise all of the "essential functions" for purposes of the ADA.
Expected Areas of Competence* Ability to communicate both orally and in written form with a clear and concise manner. Excel at making business presentations.
* Strong analytical skills and outstanding interpersonal skills.
* Ability to lead a team, influence others, and through strong organizational skills.
* Energizes all levels of the organization to deliver on business goals and objectives.
* Microsoft Office Suite; general knowledge of medical device business including the science, products (Zimmer and competitors), research and commercialization process, manufacturing, marketing, and sales; knowledge of orthopaedic market, products within assigned group, surgical process, selling process, regulatory process, development process, and marketing strategies.
Education/Experience Requirements* Bachelor's degree required; preferably in marketing.
* 5 or more years of product marketing experience required. Consideration will be given to candidates with less than 5 years of marketing experience if they have some sales experience in healthcare.
* Experience working with traditional marketing concepts, marketing strategies, product promotion, market analysis, and forecasting.
Travel Requirements* Up to 40%