Reviews clinical documentation to extract data and apply appropriate ICD-9/ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS codes for billing purposes. Applies expertise of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology to analyze patient charts for relevant data. Utilizes mastery of, coding conventions, coding software, hospital procedures, local medical review policy, and APCs and to assign codes for diagnoses, treatments, and procedures in a precise, thorough, and dependable manner. Responsible for coding all encounters in Emergency Department, Hospital Observation, Hospital Ambulatory, and Hospital Outpatient settings.
- Interprets medical record documentation to accurately code each diagnosis and procedure using ICD-9/ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS.
- Proficiency with encounter/billing process, as well as working knowledge of a Medicare, Commercial, and HMO insurance and their impact on reimbursement.
- Expert knowledge of medical terminology, disease processes, and pharmacology.
- Deciphers correct APC assignment through chart review and communication with the physician to ensure appropriate documentation.
- Assists in the implementation and training efforts of ICD-10.
- Identify problem documents and work with submitting departments to correct errors.
- Maintains a working knowledge of coding guidelines and reporting requirements to ensure coding compliance and maximum reimbursement.
- Thoroughly research coding issues with use of medical reference resources and contacts.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We're Looking For:
- Passion for the Health Information Management field.
- 2+ continuous years of hospital coding/abstracting experience within the last 5 years.
- Continues education to acquire the necessary CEUs to maintain certifications.
- CCS, RHIT, or RHIA certification through AHIMA required.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Windows-based applications with respect to encoder systems, spreadsheets, word processing, databases, etc.
- Exceptional organizational skills for detail-oriented job duties.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits offered.
- Daily iPad Mini pow-wows.
- Up to 10 days PTO a year.
You will be required to complete a proficiency test with a score of 85% or higher.
Codebusters is a team of expert Health Information Management (HIM) professionals that works as a big, friendly, collaborative group. We share a not-so-secret passion for the world to have dependable, sharable, secure, on-demand health information. Our goal at Codebusters is to help you shine, be happy, and do amazing things in the HIM field. We work with you to find out what you want out of your career and to help you fully realize your HIM superpower because we believe that happy coders make hospitals thrive.