Responsible for accurately obtaining blood samples via venipuncture and capillary collection procedures with minimum customer discomfort. Provides care to patients whose ages range from infant to geriatric. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory’s procedures for specimen collection, handling, and processing. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety.
I. Utilizes technical skills and abilities to perform laboratory testing
- Ability to competently perform moderate and high complexity testing.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Understands and operates test systems proficiently.
- Ability to troubleshoot test systems and take appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. Notifies appropriate Supervisory personnel.
II. Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality
- Follows established policies and procedures for quality control performance and documentation.
- Performs and documents scheduled and unscheduled preventative maintenance.
- Identifies problems which may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and takes appropriate action, including supervisor notification
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
- Participates in the laboratory continuing education program.
III. Effectively utilizes departmental resources
- Demonstrates efficiency by performing procedures rapidly and determining priority.
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
- Utilizes unstructured time constructively.
V. Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote client relations.
- Communicates with laboratory staff and its clients to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with its customers.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to clients and patients.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
VI. Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Preferred – Certified by the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians
Minimum – training or experience in specimen collection and/or processing.
Preferred – Two years of laboratory training or experience in specimen collection and processing.