American Furukawa, Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of electrical devices such as steering roll connectors, fuse and relay boxes, and wire harness systems. AFI is currently seeking a full time Product Engineer to work on site at our office in Columbus, Ohio.
The Product Engineer has responsibility to design, develop and improve new or existing products, prepare engineering information related to product design, direct the building and testing of prototypes; with special interest on VA/VE ideas and new technology information to obtain new projects. This position has internal contacts with other department personnel regarding ideas, drawings, and products, as well as, external contacts with customers and vendors in the development of designs, to resolve problems and to provide prototypes.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supports customer on engineering, technical, and quality through prototype to mass production or trial event.
- Assists in the design and development of wiring harness designs to obtain the approval for new technology and new parts from customer and parent company.
- Assists in the design and development of production processes to maximize efficiency and quality of products manufactured and coordinates customer prototype requirements.
- Develops project plans and schedules.
- Assists in VA/VE ideas and new technology information to get new project.
- Identifies, evaluates and implements continuous improvement projects that reduce costs, improve quality and productivity.
- Benchmarking of market technical trends to understand customer needs.
- Designs and develops products and specifications which satisfy customer needs within scheduling and budgetary parameters. This also may include the modification of existing designs and proprietary items.
- Draws and updates assembly and part drawings, and distributes updated drawings to customers and all related departments.
- Provides engineering information for manufacturing. (Specifications, Cost Quotation, BOM, etc.) Plans and directs the fabrication of prototypes to meet customer and internal requirements.
- Plans and directs tests to evaluate whether the product meets customer requirements.
- Plans and makes equipment and jigs for testing, if necessary.
- Performs other duties when required or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mechanical/electrical/industrial required.
- Experience with Catia required.
- Minimum of one year of experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
American Furukawa, Inc. offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, and 401k.