Get new similar jobs by email for
Restaurant General Manager
Potbelly Sandwich Works
Top 10 Reasons to Manage a Potbelly
Before we unveil the top 10 list, we must satisfy the question burning inside of you. What the heck is Potbelly?
Potbelly is actually Potbelly Sandwich Shop. (We just call it Potbelly for short). Potbelly began in 1977 as a mom-and-pop antique store in a Chicago neighborhood. In an effort to make some extra cash, the owners started selling toasted sandwiches. The sandwiches were such a hit, the owners decided to transform their antique store into a full-time sandwich shop. They kept all the antiques, added some items to the menu (hand-dipped shakes, homemade desserts and soups), had a friend play the acoustic guitar, and VOILA ~ a cult classic was born!
Since 1996, Potbelly has grown to nearly 300 company-owned locations in cities nationwide. And we’re not stopping there! We’re opening more shops across the country, especially in the Baltimore, MD Area!
To support this growth, we need top-notch Managers to help us grow and build the brand, which brings us to….drum roll, please….
The Top 10 Reason to become a Manager with Potbelly
10. Your clothes won’t smell like grease from fryers or grills because there are no fryers or grills!
9. Great atmosphere- real antiques, great tunes, including live music. How many sandwich shops do you see someone playing the acoustic guitar?
8. Keepin’ it Simple: Our menu is pretty simple so it’s easy to teach and train your employees; it’s easy for the customer to make a decision; which makes it easier to execute to keep that line a-movin’! We focus on a few things and try to do it great every time!
7. Fun! Happy, friendly employees; busy energetic store; great music; awesome customers. You gotta see it to believe it.
6. No late nights or rowdy bar crowds; Quality of life, my friend!
5. More new shops, more new markets, more opportunities for YOU!
4. Comprehensive fun-filled and informative training and development programs to get you started on the right track and to give you the knowledge and tools to grow your business and team!
3. Benefits and Bonus? Of course! Really competitive salary and with quarterly bonus potential, medical, dental and vision insurance; domestic partner benefits, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan with Potbelly match; paid vacation; Pay Card Program; Potbelly meal program---YUM!
2. Continual development so you grow both professionally and personally in your restaurant management career.
1. The chance to be on the ground floor of something really special.
Where will your Potbelly Journey take you?
Must represent Potbelly Advantage and Our Values.
Minimum of at least 2 years as a General Manager in a restaurant or retail environment with P&L responsibility. Experience in the Restaurant Industry, preferred.
High School degree; Bachelor’s degree, preferred.
Strong business acumen. Ability to see “Big Picture."
Ability to manage a fast-paced, high-volume, clean, customer-focused restaurant.
Must spend 80-90% of time on the store floor in the Front of the House.
Must have financial literacy. Ability to understand financial reports.
Exceptional customer service skills.
Strong time-management skills. Ability to multi-task, to prioritize and to organize.
Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to select, develop, inspire and manage strong teams.
Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
Ability to delegate, follow-up and hold team accountable.
Ability to create and execute effective plans to build the business.
Must have the ability to set budgets and maintain food and beverage costs.
Ability to follow expectations and guidelines set by Potbelly.
Microsoft Office skills