Route Salesperson - Direct Store Delivery
With over a century and a half of experience, our brands have become respected and well known for providing premium-quality meat products to families across the United States. With products ranging from lunchmeat and franks to smoked sausage, bacon and pepperoni, the John Morrell Food Group, a division of Smithfield Foods, is an important part of consumers’ mealtimes. The John Morrell Food Group offers several national and regional brands including Armour®, Eckrich®, John Morrell®, Curly's®, Patrick Cudahy®, Kretschmar ®, Krakus ®, Carando®, Healthy Ones®, Margherita®, and LunchMakers®.
Armour-Eckrich Meats, a member of the John Morrell Food Group, has a relief salesperson position available in Cleveland, OH.
The Direct Store Delivery (DSD) Route Salesperson sells food products such as processed meats, cheeses, poultry, and meats to retail food stores, wholesale grocers, restaurants, hotels or institutions by performing the follow duties:
- Compiles lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from local management, newspapers, business directories and other sources
- Travels through assigned territory in Company route truck to call on regular and prospective customers to solicit and deliver orders - route may require overnight travel
- Displays or demonstrates product, using samples and emphasizes salable features
- Quotes prices and credit terms and prepares sales invoices for orders obtained and collects cash or checks for prior sales
- Delivers products to customer, stocks retail cases and rotates inventory in customers coolers as required
- Prepares end of day reports of business transactions, places future orders for sales, prepare deposit slips for cash and checks collected, review days sales and informs local management on any unresolved issues or opportunities
- Maintains daily Department of Transportation reports i.e. Daily Trip Report and Time Logs and provides to local management as required
- Maintains daily truck inventory and does weekly physical inventory and reports any variations to local management
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages and volume
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organizations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hand to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- High School Diploma/GED
- A valid Driver's License with a good driving record is required, a CDL-B Drivers License maybe required
- Federal Regulations require driver to be 21 years of age
Why do I want to work at JMFG?
- 2 year college degree or college coursework
- 1-2 years previous sales experience and/or grocery experience preferred
At John Morrell Food Group we are always looking for talented associates. We are committed to recruit, retain and promote employees with a diversity of backgrounds and life experiences. We seek individuals with outstanding characteristics of leadership and a bias toward action. The successful applicant should desire a broad base exposure to all aspects within the business enterprise while taking pride in ownership of results within a cross functional team.
If you would enjoy working in a dynamic environment and are looking for an opportunity to become part of a stellar team of professionals, we invite you to apply online today.
The John Morrell Food Group is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) employer and participates in the E-Verify Program.