At United States Steel Corporation, our strength is our people. Our 45,000 dedicated, diverse and innovative employees across North America and Europe contribute to our company in creative ways every day and have helped us maintain our position as a Fortune 500 company. U. S. Steel’s operations are efficient and high tech and our customer focus intense. We’ve been making steel for more than 105 years, always with an eye to making it better, faster and more cost effectively. U. S. Steel has a Vision for the future – Making Steel. World Competitive - Building Value.
United States Steel Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
United States Steel Corporation has an immediate opening for a Safety & Industrial Hygiene Specialist, at our Gary Works facility. At United States Steel Corporation safety is our No. 1 core value. This position will develop, implement and maintain comprehensive safety and health programs and conduct safety and process reviews. Additional Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Implement and maintain comprehensive safety and health programs and conduct safety and process risk assessments.
• Analyze safety data/trends (internal and external) and assist in the development of corrective action plans.
• Collaborate on a scheduled basis with division and area managers in appraising the performance of units, reviewing division and area incident experience, and collaborate on recommendations and action to be taken by the respective unit concerning Safety & Industrial Hygiene issues.
• Assist facilities in implementing corporate/plant/division specific Safety & Industrial Hygiene initiatives.
• Conduct frequent reviews of established plant safety and industrial hygiene procedures to ensure ongoing effectiveness and compliance.
• Assist in generating division specific information for monthly safety meetings. Audit random meetings for quality of information, presentation of instructor, and employee participation. Assist departments/divisions in implementing improvement plans for noted deficiencies.
• Assist divisions in developing and implementing procedures including Safe Job Procedures, energy control procedures, Standard Practices and PPE requirements.
• Periodically conduct safety conversations with employees as well as line management to ensure the consistent use and quality of the safety conversation program.
• Conduct walk thru of divisions observing conditions and work practices. Take immediate steps to modify unsafe practices and elicit required personnel to address housekeeping and unsafe conditions noted.
• Participate in the pre-startup safety review of new facilities, equipment or processes in conjunction with Engineering and Operating personnel.
• Participate in the development of plant specific safety and hygiene audit programs.
• Participate in the development and implementation of training programs for plant management and union personnel in compliance with OSHA regulations and recognized health hazards.
• Provide assistance in communicating new systems initiatives or system-related changes for any Safety and IH systems in use at plant locations, and provide feedback on new initiatives or changes as needed.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 4-8 years of industrial safety supervisory experience is required.
Preferred candidates will have a Bachelors or Masters degree in Safety, Safety Engineering, Industrial Safety, or related safety degree and extensive safety field experience and risk management background.