Child Care Aware® of America is our nation’s leading voice for child care. We work with more than 600 state and local Child Care Resource and Referral agencies to ensure that families in every community have access to quality, affordable child care.
Summary of Position:
Child Care Aware® of America seeks an experienced and creative professional with proven success in building new business opportunities to join our team in the newly created role of Sr. Director, Business Development. The Sr. Director will play a leading role in the conceptualization, design, and implementation of strategies to increase revenue for Child Care Aware® of America and increase mission impact. Specifically, Child Care Aware® of America seeks ways to leverage new revenue opportunities in product development, membership services, and fee-for-service training; use existing resources to their fullest extent; and create new products that address central needs.
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the leadership team, the Sr. Director, Business Development will be accountable for defining and implementing fundraising and business/product development strategies. This will require partnering with the finance and program teams to create budgets and business models, working with stakeholders to define and execute an efficient process for evaluating Business Development needs, creating new products, assessing costs and benefits, and defining and monitoring metrics against goals. This individual will also work closely with leadership to evaluate the organization’s current competitive positioning and existing array of products and services. He/she will manage limited human and capital resources to maximize return on mission-related goals of building and growing market presence, and to build the reputation of the organization with its primary audiences.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Identify, develop, and realize revenue opportunities, based upon these strategies Lead a collaborative planning process for Business Development opportunities across the highest priority program areas and serve as a thought partner in developing long-term strategic plans;
- Develop and implement a Business Development strategy working with staff leaders and appropriate members of the board. This plan will include identifying targeted markets; establishing linkages with key constituents; developing products/services; regularly monitoring and assessing Business Development opportunities; developing key relationships, and tweaking the plan as needed;
Track performance on development strategies over time;
Identify and bench-mark best practices in other organizations to help create a more effective Business Development process at Child Care Aware® of America and identify opportunities for collaboration;
Work with program directors and managers to help them identify and collaboratively pursue Business Development opportunities;
Supports positive organizational change in how new business development and funding opportunities are evaluated and executed.
Skills and Experience
- Understanding of the Social Sector, either from professional or volunteer involvement in a national advocacy or non-profit organization;
- Demonstrated success generating revenue opportunities across multiple platforms and services;
- Extensive knowledge of strategy and product development, modeling and budgeting;
- Ability to think strategically and develop and implement Business Development strategies with attention to well defined progress and outcome expectations;
- Excellent communication, analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills;
- Experience as a catalyst for change and demonstrated track record managing a P&L;
- Track record of innovative thinking, analysis and practical activity;
- Strong relationship builder;
- Team-player with ability to influence and motivate others;
- Ability to make timely and effective decisions in assessing Business Development opportunities;
- Sophisticated understanding of non-profit financial management, and able to contribute to development strategies across funding sectors where appropriate.
- Proven experience in developing strong funding relationships with corporations and foundations
- Well-developed business network
- Encourages and practices critical thinking;
- Is self-reflective and empathic;
- Maintains a respectful and accepting approach to others;
- Strong leader with executive-level influencing skills;
- Collaboratively and creatively supports the work efforts of colleagues at all levels and in all areas of the organization; and
- Committed to larger organizational mission.
Advanced degree in Business or related field. Knowledge of early childhood development and related health, education, and public service systems a plus.