Modis is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with C++, MFC, RDBM and Linux for a permanent position in Herndon, VA.
The company is dedicated to providing next generation solutions for broadband IP networking via satellite networks. As the leading innovators in this space, our diverse and talented team of Internet, satellite and telecommunications professionals continues to break new ground and create significant opportunities for network operators, for service providers and resellers, and for corporate networking professionals.
We are seeking an innovative and creative Senior Software Engineer- Sustaining who is ready for the challenges, responsibilities, and rewards that come with working in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Design, develop, test, fix defects and integrate network management software to control large networks of VSAT satellite routers.
• Work as a part of Sustaining Team to own the NMS front –end and back-end components of all software branches supported by the sustaining team.
• Collaborate with test team to create appropriate test cases based on changes in the software. Collaborate with Technical Support team in troubleshooting customer escalations.
• Own the design enhancements and changes to the NMS software based on customer use cases. Provide senior-level direction for the development of the Network Management System back-end components, including software architecture, API design and development, and database interfaces.
• Provide senior-level direction for the development of the Network Management System front-ends, including software architecture, API design and development, and overall graphical look-and-feel.
• Provide technical direction to junior members of the team as required.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
Education: BS in Computer Science or closely related field
Experience: Eight-plus years' experience in software development with several of the following:
• Experience with object oriented design and development.
• Experience with real-time, N-tier client/server architectures.
• At least four years of recent C++ development experience.
• Two to four years of Visual C++ using MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes).
• Experience in a Network Management environment, with some exposure to SNMP.
• Strong understanding of the MFC Document/View architecture.
• Strong knowledge of Web development strategies and techniques.
• Experience with StingRay, Open GL, or other third-party graphical software packages.
• Development experience in an open source / Linux environment.
• Experience solving problems related to multi-platform development.
• Strong Knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP, sockets, and other IP protocols. Experience with CORBA or other middleware environments.
• Experience with Oracle, MySQL, or other RDBMS is required.
• Experience designing and deploying enterprise-class distributed database systems.
• Some familiarity with satellite communications networks desirable.
• Strong ability to work in a fast paced development environment.
• Strong ability to analyze and solve technical problems related to communications networks in a client/server environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills and be self-motivated.
• Able to complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Able to communicate effectively on various technical levels.
• Able to work under pressure in high visibility situations.
• Able to adapt to changing conditions and make decisions based on incomplete data.
• Must be effective as a single contributor or as a leader as the situation warrants.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills.