Overview of Position:
The Senior Software Engineer develops media and business solutions by designing, developing and supporting solutions for the Boston Globe’s newsroom, the Supply Chain Operations team and the Digital Product team.
New solutions are developed in a variety of functional, procedural and object
oriented programming languages and a variety of RDBMS and NoSQL database systems. Senior software engineers collaborate with the Business Analysts, the Project Managers, the management of the Supply Chain Operations department, the editors of the newsroom and every member of the NEMG IT staff. Senior Software Engineers are expected to mentor Software Engineers and perform the duties of a technical lead on projects.
• Possesses an excellent understanding of software engineering best practices and an intense drive to learn how to improve our core products and services.
• Reviews and influences ongoing design, architecture, standards and methods for the Boston Globe, boston.com and bostonglobe.com.
• Develops innovative media and business solutions through process engineering, collaborating with our customers to recommend changes in policies and procedures when appropriate,and delivering high quality software through a standardized software development life cycle.
• Committed to continually mentoring others and learning through research of development tools and languages, actively participating in code reviews and solution demonstrations, investigating new design patterns, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
• Uses Jira to document progress, code migrations and status on work assignments and communicates these updates during daily stand ups.
• On call support for production critical applications
• Provides complete technical documentation, code comments, and readable code that is properly stored in a version control system.
• More than 5 years work experience in Java, C++, Python or Perl
• Strong knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, HTML5, XML and XSL
• MS in CS, CES,EE, or 10 years of related work experience
• Knowledge of Unix
• At least one year of experience with the Methode CMS
• At least one year of experience developing Smart TV applications
• At least one year of experience developing applications to support
commercial printing and inserting
• Working knowledge of Arduino and Raspberry Pi
• Experience working with critical, large scale applications (several
hundred thousand users)
• Ability to multi-task and grow in a fast paced development
• Prior experience working with offshore developers
• Strong analytical and communication skills
You will fit well in this position if:
• You love brain teasers
• You possess strong analytical/problem solving skills.
• You want to work with the smartest people available to improve yourself
• You enjoy teaching software engineering best practices
• You love your code going into production
• You want to work on applications that drive profit
You will not fit well in this position if:
• You would rather work with technologies that you are comfortable with than the appropriate standardized technology based upon the business requirements
• You want to work 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday, no exceptions.
• You only want to work within Agile software principles
• You are unable to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in
You must be able to explain the following:
• How to handle exceptions in jQuery
• An anonymous function
• The appropriate usage of a singleton pattern
• The difference between an abstract class and an interface
• Whether an Java interface can have an abstract method
• The proper use of the dependency injection design pattern
• A process for ensuring dependency management across a large team of developers
• A RESTful architecture
• Which major features were introduced in Java 5,6,7 or 8
• An ORM’s advantages and disadvantages
• The difference between DML and DDL
• How you can address a performance problem with a hash
• The steps you would take to resolve a problem with database performance with an application you built
Who we are:
Boston Globe Media Partners (BGMP) is just that -- a media company. We are not a newspaper business, but a company whose entire mission is to change the newspaper business. We are an aggressive, entrepreneurial minded digital operation with a range of highly trafficked platforms like BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, BetaBoston.com and BDCWire.com at our disposal. Those platforms are the future of media in a town whose voice is like no other.
And we are growing -- fast. With a foundation in leading-edge technology and data-driven product development, we are rapidly building a team that is as obsessed as we are with innovation and change. The decision to join this team is thus the choice to be at the start of something bigger, something scarier, than the work any of us has done before. But that is how everything great begins.
The Boston Globe is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The Boston Globe is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.