Get new similar jobs by email for
Sr. Food Scientist - Meat (Ft....
Millions of times a day in more than 85% of American households, consumers reach for Pinnacle Foods brands. We are a leading producer, marketer and distributor of high-quality branded food products, which have been trusted household names for decades. Headquartered in Parsippany, New Jersey, our business employs an average of approximately 4,300 employees. We are a leader in the shelf stable and frozen foods segments and our brands hold the #1 or #2 market position in 8 out of 12 major category segments in which they compete. Our Duncan Hines Grocery Division manages Leadership brands such as Duncan Hines® baking mixes and frostings, Vlasic® shelf-stable pickles and Mrs. Butterworth's® and Log Cabin® table syrups and Foundation brands such as Armour® canned meats, Brooks® and Nalley® chili and chili ingredients, Comstock® and Wilderness® pie and pastry fillings and Open Pit® barbecue sauces. Our Birds Eye Frozen Division manages Leadership brands such as Birds Eye®, Birds Eye Steamfresh®, C&W®, McKenzie's®, and Fresh like® vegetables, Birds Eye Voila!® complete bagged meals and Van de Kamp's® and Mrs. Paul's® seafood and Foundation brands such as Lender's® bagels, Celeste® pizza, Hungry-Man® dinners and entrées and Aunt Jemima® frozen breakfasts. Our Specialty Foods Division manages Tim's Cascade Snacks®, Hawaiian® Kettle Style Potato Chips, Erin’s® Popcorn, Snyder of Berlin® and Husman's® in addition to our food service and private label businesses. Pinnacle Foods is a Top 1000 Company ranked on Fortune Magazine’s 2011 Top 1000 companies list.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
As part of R&D, the Senior Food Scientist will lead developmental efforts at our meat processing plants (Fort Madison, IA and Fayetteville, AR), leveraging meat science knowledge to improve both formulations and manufacturing processes to achieve productivity, quality, and new product objectives. As part of the plant leadership staff, this individual is responsible for representing R&D at the plant level, and the plant within R&D.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other Duties May Be Assigned
• Identify, develop and validate manufacturing processes leveraging meat science knowledge to achieve productivity, quality, plant and new product objectives
• Develop and manage timelines for all projects
• Work closely with Procurement and our supplier base to identify potential productivity opportunities
• Coordinate and perform line trials at company owned and contract manufacturing locations as needed
• Work closely with ingredient and equipment vendors to generate new ideas for productivity, product improvements and new products while ensuring process capability
• Work closely across R&D sites to ensure key product requirements are identified and delivered leveraging scientific skills
• Perform lab experiments, pilot and plant trials
• Initiate and monitor shelf life studies
• Develop process parameters ensuring plant capability
• Work with external testing labs as appropriate
• Develop product and process specifications for new and/or existing products
• Prepare and input information into product specification system
• Prepare filings for USDA approvals as required
• Actively participate in multiple cross functional project teams
• Serve as the technical expert coordinating between R&D, operations, marketing, finance and procurement
None at this time
• Operate lab and pilot plant equipment
• Work with minimal supervision in labs and field locations
• Interpret and communicate technical information
• Interact with cross functional team members located on-site and remotely
• Anticipate the needs and priorities of other functional departments to accomplish project objectives.
• Travel up to 20 % (approximate)
• Manage others, delegate and prioritize
• Manage multiple developmental projects simultaneously, ensuring that milestones and deliverables are met.
• Establish effective partnerships with technology sources, including equipment vendors, ingredient suppliers and universities
Proficiency in the use of MS Office software including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Knowledge of thermal process and freezing technologies
• Knowledgeable in ingredient selection, formulation, processing equipment and operating conditions
• Extensive technical and theoretical knowledge of meat science and manufacturing processes
• Exceptional problem solving skills
• Demonstrated technical leadership in the areas of meat food product development and commercialization.
• Demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of various plant processes
• Demonstrated initiative in seeking information and applications from outside resources
• Self- motivated with strong project management and communication skills with the ability to leverage technologies across manufacturing sites
• Strong project management skills
• Understands and uses design of experiment techniques
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and the ability to interact with all company functions
7+ years of relevant meat industry experience (new products, formulation, process development)
B.S. – Meat Science (or equivalent)
Pinnacle Foods Group is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.