Emerson Network Power, Energy Systems North America has an immediate opening for a System Mechanical Engineer located in its Lorain, Ohio facility. Emerson Network Power, Energy Systems, North America is a leading manufacturer and marketer of telecommunications power and outside plant products and provides world-class services. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois with operations across the globe, Emerson Network Power, Energy Systems offers excellent career opportunities for motivated individuals.
This position is responsible for the technical product development and support activities associated with Telecom DC Power System. In this position the suitable candidate will be responsible for reducing system level product specifications and concepts into the necessary mechanical components, cable assemblies, sheet metal structures to industrialize the product. The candidate must have a proven record of successful product development. The candidate must be able to interface technically across a broad spectrum of functions (Sourcing, Engineering, Quality, and Manufacturing) and coordinate technical design activities to arrive at a solution that maximizes product value. This person must have an expert knowledge of mechanical components, materials and their application in order to achieve optimum cost benefit and value to the organization. Additionally, this person must possess strong engineering and business skills to interface with both internal and external customers.
- Work in a collaborative Team environment to develop Telecom DC Power Systems from information provided via concept models, design specifications and Email / web based meetings with design engineers located globally.
- The candidates must have previous product development experience. The experience does not have to be in telecom but they must have been through the typical design cycle and have an understanding of the different phases of the development cycle.
- Understanding and familiarity with the standard fabrication techniques related to sheet metal design. This would include shearing, cutting, punching, bending and folding design.
- Understanding of sheet metal joining techniques, including, welding, fastening via self tapping hardware, fastening via threaded inserts
- Sheet metal finishing knowledge such as powder paint, plating (pre and post plating techniques)
- Ability to select appropriate material to achieve the design objectives at the lowest cost (cold rolled, hot rolled, galvanized, galvaneal).
- Familiarity with the implications mechanical design can have on EMC performance and the mechanical techniques to mitigate EMI
- Design of mechanical bus structure for carrying electrical currents utilizing copper and aluminum
- Familiarity with current shunts, contactors, breakers, fuses, printed circuit boards and insulation material such as Nomex, Formex, plastics, etc…
- Familiarity with regulatory agency and design implications of UL, NEBS, CE, EMC and NEC
- Prepare and execute design verification plans for all mechanical aspects of the system structure
- Stay abreast of the latest material, component and supplier technology and trends and identify product applications for these developments to enhance product value, reduce cost and eliminate production risk.
- Provide technical support to manufacturing with respect to material, component and supplier substitutions.
- BSME required /MSME preferred
- 3+ years experience in product development
- Experience with product development process and product maintenance activities such as BOMs maintenance, technical documentation review, customer doc review
- Experience with MRP systems - SAP preferred.
- Understanding of typical design development tools such as schematic capture, 3-dimensional mechanical modeling such as Pro/E
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to respond to changing priorities on a daily basis without losing vision on previous assignments
- Ability to forecast completion dates and willingness to meet the dates.
- Excellent Organization and time management skills are a must.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must (English required)
- Ability to read, interpret and implement electric, electronic, and mechanical design documentation.
- Familiarity with a broad range of mechanical components and materials and their product application.
- Understanding of component safety agency requirements such as UL, TUV, VDE, etc…
This position requires up to 15% international travel.
Emerson Network Power is an equal opportunity employer. It will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, gender, national origin, color, disability, genetic information, protected veterans, or any other factor made unlawful by applicable laws and regulations. Emerson is committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment