About the Job
The State Bar of California
Office of the General Counsel
$56,592 - $76,555
The Office of General Counsel seek a Legal Secretary. This office employs the in-house attorneys to the State Bar. The legal work includes advice to and representation of the State Bar Board of Trustees, committees, commissions, and staff in administrative and civil litigation and transactional work in substantive areas such as: Bar discipline and admission cases at the California Supreme Court, labor and employment, copyright, real estate, contracts, regulatory work, and general corporate matters.
The Legal Secretary duties and required skills include:
• Strong knowledge of court rules and filing procedures (including e-filing) in state, federal, and appellate courts. (Experience with California Supreme Court is a plus);
• Excellent word processing skills (intermediate to advanced level in Word, Microsoft Outlook);
• Knowledge of calendaring, including tracking of litigation deadlines;
• Generating Tables of Authorities and Tables of Contents using Word; and ability to format documents with Word-generated styles;
• Court filings and communication with courts to establish hearing dates;
• Hearing preparation;
• Subpoena document production and indexing;
•Excellent writing, grammar, proofreading skills and attention to detail;
• Ability to organize and prioritize and work independently and flexibly;
• Opening, maintaining and closing files and records, including summary of the case;
• Good interpersonal skills as a team player working closely with attorneys and staff;
• Good judgment and respect for confidentiality.
1. High school diploma or equivalent and
2. Minimum two (2) years post-secondary education or equivalent and either
3. Minimum one (1) year legal secretarial experience or
4. Minimum two (2) secretarial experience, at least one (1) year of which has been in a legal environment.
5. Successful completion of the State Bar validated standard tests for the position.
6. Accomplished computer keyboarding skills
The State Bar of California offers a congenial and professional work environment and a unique compensation package, including competitive salary, normally 7.25 work days, paid health insurance and other benefits, 14 holidays, vacation/sick leave, CalPERS Retirement, 457b savings plan, commuter subsidy, and more. The successful candidate will be hired at a salary commensurate with her/his experience.
Click link to view complete job description - http://www.calbar.ca.gov/AboutUs/Jobs/SanFrancisco/legalsecretary.aspx
For information on how to apply and to obtain a job application visit our website: http://calbar.ca.gov/AboutUs/Jobs/Apply.aspx